chapter five

May 8th, 1997

Draco entered the great hall with his potions book hooked beneath his arm, desperate to sit down and read to find any other ways he could possibly murder his Headmaster.

All of his plans had failed. The mead. The cursed necklace. All of it.

His family was going to die as punishment, he was sure of it. He just didn't know how, or when.

He only knew that it would happen eventually.

Just as he was about to sit down he spotted Harry Potter, right in front of Katie Bell, and in unison, they glanced back at him at the same time.

Panic began to course through Draco's veins.

Stumbling backwards, he exited the great hall in swift movements, traveling down the corridor towards the boys bathroom as he ignored the extra set of footsteps echoing behind him.

Draco tugged at his tie, collar suddenly feeling extremely constricting. He felt claustrophobic in his own clothing, a bead of sweat trickling down his temple as he anxiously stalked to the sink, shutting the door behind him.

With staggering pants he discarded his jumper, unbuttoning the top of his dress-shirt as he turned on the faucet, splashing ice cold water across his forehead.

His ragged breaths soon turned to sobs, salted tears mixing with the water on his cheeks as he slapped himself across the face as punishment.

Malfoy's do not cry.

The door creaked open as water dripped across the bridge of his nose, hand resting just above the wand in his pocket.

"I know what you did, Malfoy. You hexed her didn't you?"

He stilled, jumper still in a heap on the floor, water droplets now dripping down his neck, into the fabric of his shirt.

Draco turned, staring at Potter's stupid, infuriating, scar harboring face; and spat the first curse he could conjure out of his wand in a rage.

Scrambling behind a metal stall door, he hid as spells from Potter's wand continued to shoot towards him, one hitting a set of faucets making water pour from the pipes and gush to the tile floor.

The room fell eerily silent.

Draco abandoned his cover to see if Harry had left, and the boy was standing right in front of him.

"Sectumsempra!"

He stumbled back with a groan, head hitting the flooded ground with a crack; but a concussion was the least of his problems.

The pain was excruciating.

Laborious grunts and whimpers fell from his lips as he tried to hold in his screams, the flesh across his abdomen having been torn apart in multiple places, blood seeping from the wounds into the water surrounding him.

And in fear, he watched as Potter scurried away.

"Harry? What on earth's happened?" He heard a soft, frightened voice ask from down the corridor, echoing off of the bathroom walls.

Footsteps frantically ran away, whilst new ones approached.

"Hello?" The voice called, shoes sloshing against the wet floor, "Is anybody in here?"

A pathetic wail left his lips as he desperately tried to fill his lungs with air, now met by a head of bushy brown curls, her eyes wide with horror.