Chapter 13: Secrets Revealed

(3rd Person's POV)

After closing and locking her dorm room door, Sora immediately headed towards the gymnasium, too anxious to notice the stragglers in the halls.

Every step she took, a drop of sweat appeared on her face. As much as she didn't wanna go, she didn't really have a choice in the matter.

Sora went into the dining hall and she was one of the first ones there. Not that it mattered since, because of the announcement, people were coming in quickly. And when everyone arrived...

"Hmm... Asking us to gather together all of a sudden like this... What could he possibly want?" Taka wondered.

"Indeed. What might await us this time?" Celeste asked no one in particular.

Well, whatever it is, it cannot be anything pleasant... Sora thought.

"Hmhmhm." Byakuya softly chuckled. "He keeps things interesting, that's for certain."

Of course, the progeny's amused attitude didn't sit well with the other students.

"How is that funny? Can't you smile like a normal person once in a while?" Hifumi asked. "Like how the housewife on a classic TV show smiles at the end of an episode?"

"There's something totally messed up with you if you can laugh at a time like this!" Hina yelled.

"Which of us is actually "messed up," hmm?" Byakuya turned his head to the swimmer.

"Wh-What's that supposed to mean...?"

"Nothing in particular. Just admiring, that's all." Byakuya said. "I don't want to kill anyone. But I also don't want to stay here, living in blind denial day after day. I was just admiring how you could live like that and still keep your sanity."

Bold of you to assume I'm sane... Sora thought.

"I'm not in denial..." Hina weakly said.

"That reminds me. Remember how you kept talking about how the police or whoever would come help us? How'd that turn out?" Byakuya rhetorically asked. "It seems to me there's no sign whatsoever of possible rescue."

"Th-That's just..." Hina tried to make a retort, but Byakuya actually brought up a good point. "I wonder what actually happened."

"It's strange, that's true. There's no way the police wouldn't know about it. We're right in the middle of a major urban area." Kyoko pointed out.

"The police suck!" Hifumi exclaimed.

"On the contrary, the mastermind may be just that powerful, to take control even of the police..." Celeste said.

"Oh!" Hiro perked up. "This might not be related, but--"

"Then don't say it." Toko rudely interrupted.

"Nope, gonna say it!" Hiro smiled. "It's about last night. I was near the main hall just staring off into space. When all of a sudden, I heard it."

"You heard what?" Chihiro asked.

"A sound that... I don't really know what it was..." Hiro said, struggling to describe it to his fellow students.

"Wh-What kind of sound?" Taka inquired.

"Well like I said, I don't really know. But if I had to describe it..." Hiro rubbed his chin. "It was like...a construction site, I guess?"

"A construction site?" Makoto repeated in confusion.

"I mean, I could just be making that up. I only just barely heard anything..." Hiro told them.