the truth - h. kokonoi

i was young dumb and broke. my family disowned me just because i was a burden to them.

i didn't have a proper job and money , because of that my whole life i had been living in a not well built home. i couldn't afford anything and sometimes have to go days without eating. it was way worse than hell.

my life was filled with misery until i met this man.
kokonoi hajime.

he changed my entire life and made me realised the true meaning in life. he took care of me unlike any other men. he spoilt me. fed me well. everything. it was pure satisfaction. i loved him. so much.

however , there's a plot twist though. i found out through the hard way.

"guess i have to go on an empty stomach today." i sighed to myself as i went through the dollar bills left in my wallet. i only had about $5 for the remaining days of the week and it was only wednesday.

i stood right in front of my favourite place. which was also my comfort place. a cafe that i will never forget about.

looking up to the signboard , i wanted to step in but i hesitated so i stopped in my tracks , blocking the entrance.

"hey. i saw you from afar. you remind me of someone that i used to know. are you going in..?" i heard a male voice behind me. i turned around and saw his appearance.

he's taller than me and is of a lean build. he has black hair in a death hawk style , flowing wildly on the right side of his face , while the left side has rectangles shaved on it.

with his fierce piercing black eyes staring right into my soul , i felt chills went down my spine. he looked angry? maybe it's just his eyebrows.

"oh. so sorry if i was blocking your way. i'm not going in." i apologised profusely as i bowed slightly , moving towards a side to allow him to pass through.

"why are you not going in? you looked like you really want to. i can treat you if that's the problem." he smiled softly at me as he pulled out a card from his wallet. a black card?

"no , no. it's fine. it was great to meet you. i'll get going." i refused and was taking steps forward , not taking a chance to look back at that man.

"wait!" i felt his hand grabbed onto my wrist , pulling me back towards him.

"i really want to get to know you. can you let me treat you just this once. please?"

"alright fine. just this once." i breathed out.

he grinned as a response and held my hand , pulling the door for me , nudging his head signaling me to get in.

"i realised i haven't asked for your name yet. i'm y/n l/n."

"i'm kokonoi hajime."

'her hair. her gaze. her personality. everything about her seems so similar.' he thought again.

"so what do you work as?" he asked looking at me while he was taking a sip out of his vanilla frappe.

i gasped in silence when he asked me that. should i tell him the truth? or should i lie?

"actually.. i don't have a proper job. i only work part time. i help out in the pet volunteer sometimes." i said embarrassed , avoiding his eye contact.

"i see."

"i'll take you in. if that's fine with you."

"what..?"

"i'm willing to take care of you. i'll provide anything and everything that you need. i'll spoil you. so be mine." he continued.

"this might seem sudden to you but i want to take care of you. you seem so vulnerable that it's cute. i know we just met so i will give you time to consider and adjust to the current situation. please consider wisely." he took my hand in his and gently rubbed it.

'she really reminds me so much of her. i don't wanna lose her again.' kokonoi thought to himself.

his face softened and his eyes were teary.

"wait don't tear up! you're gonna make me feel bad!" i panicked.

"i'm not darling. i'm just glad i met you."

it was supposed to be our first anniversary today. me and kokonoi. my feelings grew for him as i agreed to his offer.

he really did what he promised. he would spoil me with a lot of his money. however , what i truly want from him is not his money. but his love.

i'll admit. this is so far the best that a man would had treated me. i couldn't ask for more. there was one thing lacking though. his love for me. he would say he loves me every now and then. but i just can't feel it. he's definitely hiding something from me.

"happy 1st anniversary baby." i hugged him from behind. he was sitting on the couch and was using his phone.

"hey. happy 1st anniversary love." he said clearly not paying attention to me. he took something out. it was his black card again.

"take this and buy whatever you want today." he mentioned handling the card to my hand. i took it and frowned. he did it again. all i want was just his affection. a kiss or a hug would be enough. i don't want his money.

"how about a kiss?" i said softly as he turned around , giving me a peck on my left cheek.

"there. now go and shop."

"okay.." i whispered as i quickly ran up to our shared room , shutting the door. i cried and sobbed again and again. why won't he return the love i have for him? he was the one who suggested this idea..

suddenly , a sharp sound filled the room. i looked up with tears streaming down my cheeks. something dropped from the table in front of me.

i stood up fragile as i went to pick it up. it was a picture frame. my eyes widened as i realised it was a picture of kokonoi and another girl smiling. that girl had light shoulder-length hair and big gentle eyes. she looked really cute smiling. he looked so happy with her. i've never seen him this happy with me before.

how could i have not noticed this on his table?

just as i looked more closely on the picture , i also realised they were at the same cafe when i first met kokonoi. i suddenly recalled what kokonoi said that day.

'you remind me of someone that i used to know." so this is what he meant. it was the biggest hint that he revealed to me that day but i chose to ignore it.

"y/n.." he uttered. he stood at the bedroom door. he looked like he was going to collapse anytime. this was the first time that he looked so broken.

"what's this kokonoi?" i sobbed while my face softened.

he walked over towards me. taking the photo frame in his hands as he caressed it carefully.

"she was my first love. the love of my life. i loved her a lot. but god decided to take her away from me. she passed away due to a fire. maybe it was my punishment for doing illegal things. it's all in the past now."

"i wasn't fine until i met you. you changed my perspective of life. i'm sorry to keep this from you. i didn't mean to. i should had told you this earlier."

"you really remind me of her so much. i wanted to use it as an advantage so i could treat her well when i couldn't but then i fell in love with you. i fell in love for who you are."

"she'll still be in my heart forever but you're the one i love now y/n. so please don't leave me. i love you." he cried , bringing me into a tight hug as i wept.

"why did you do this? why didn't you give me affection when i needed them?" i sobbed , hitting his chest continuously. "you said you will treat me right.."

"i'm sorry. i'm so sorry. i just didn't know how to. i didn't want to get too attached and hurt myself again. i know i'm selfish but what if something happens to you too? i won't know what to do anymore." he continued.

i could feel his tears. his face was plopped on my right shoulder while he hugged my waist tighter.

"it's okay i understand love. as long as you love me too." i said with tears still welling up in my eyes.

"from now on , i promise to give you the love you need everyday. please stay. i need you."