Chapter 28 ~ Grassland

Elias

"Over here!" I yell at Cole who currently has the puck. He passes the puck to me and I make the winning goal.

It's been a couple days since we moved into the apartment and now we are playing our final games of this year. Me and Cole have been putting hockey first for the past couple days. It's been hard for him to keep from Abby for so long but I know he will come out strong.

I have not been hearing back from NHL teams yet and I'm hoping that I will start getting classes in the new year. I had to pick a place I could see myself playing in and I chose Minnesota. I would love to go and play hockey there with my family.

It will also be easier when I have a family and I also have hockey. My mom always complains that I need a girlfriend. little does she know I plan to bring one home for Christmas.

I'm a mama's boy, so I tell her everything. I told her about hockey, about Cole and Abby, and about Fayette. And shocker, my mom was very pleased when I told her there was a girl I was very fond of.

And when I told her I was bringing her for Christmas, she flipped and said she needed to start shopping now. I laughed at her actions because she doesn't know that Fay doesn't want anything for Christmas.

My mom is also inviting all my family, cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, and family friends.

I snap out of my thoughts when I feel Cole pat my back as we walk out of the locker room. I see Abby in his arms showering him with kisses. I see Fayette and I smile brightly and she walks up to me.

"You did a very good job Graham." She hugs me when I return. "Thanks Monet, but it wasn't just me." I smile and she smiles back.

I suddenly remembered what I wanted to do after the game. "I want to take you back to the grassland, you down?" I ask and she nods.

"Me and Fay are going to head out for a bit but we will be back before midnight." I tell Abby and Cole and they nod. Since I rode with Cole and Abby rode with Fay, we took Fayette's car only to get in the driver's seat.

It's a comfortable silent drive with occasional glances. "Do you have a blanket in here?" I asked and turn to her.

"I think so, why?" She tilts her head in question.

"Just so we can have something to sit on." She nods and turns to the back seat. She looks for a little but then pulls out a blanket and a pillow.

"Do you sleep in your car sometimes?" I joke and she laughs.

"No but you can never be too sure." She says and I smile.

We pull up to the grasslands and she takes the pillow and blanket with us. We walk for a while till we can see the river. She puts the blanket and pillow down as she lays down. She pats the spot next to her and I obey and lay down.

We lay down in each other's presence and watch the stars. We point them out every once a while. "You know in those books, the guy buys the girl a star and he names it after her." She says and I turn to look at her.

"Really?" She nods and looks at me. Our faces are so close that if one of us moves we would join our lips. "Mhm'' She nods and bits her lip looking at me.

"How much does a star cost?" I ask now, turning to lay on my side and she does the same. We lay on the same pillow and continue to stare at each other.

"I'm not sure, but I know that in the books the guy would buy it with his soul if he had to." She says and rests her eyes a little. She opens them and gives me a small smile.

"I think I can say for every guy that he would do anything to get that star for his girl. Would you?" She asks and I nod and whisper, "Yes"

"Close your eyes." She says and I do so. "Now imagine, 3 years from now you are sitting with your loved one wherever you want, and you tell her you bought her a star and named it after her." She whispers and I nod.

I do imagine this and I don't only imagine a loved one, I imagine her. "Maybe it's silly but it's the best gift you can give someone because that gift never dies out." She whispers again.

I open my eyes to see her eyes close as she sighs. I take this time to recognize her face once again. Her eyelashes, her nose, her freckles, her natural pink cheeks, her jaw, and her lips.

I sigh and she opens her eyes. I decided to change the topic. "Can you tell me some phrases in French?" I ask and she nods. I turn to lay on my back again as she thinks.

"Tu es ma personne" She says and I think. "Is the last word person?" I ask and she nods. "Uh- maybe you are a good person?" I ask and she laughs. "Close."

"You make me a happy person?" She laughs again. "Do you want me to tell you?" I nod and she sits up. "It means you are my person." She looks at me and I gape my mouth. I sit up with her and she smiles at me.

"Heres another one, Puis-je vous embrasser?" It sounds like a question so I think. I have no clue so I just shrug. "Can I hug you?" She giggles.

"That sounded nothing like that!" I say and she laughs harder at my playful frustration. "Teach me how to say it." I say and she stops laughing and nods.

"Alright Puis-je is pronounced-" She talks and teaches me how to say it. After a couple minutes of practicing I clear my throat.

"Puis- je vous embrasser?" I say and she claps. "You did it!" She congratulates me. "Do I get a reward?" I ask to bring out my playful side. She laughs and nods. She leans in and hugs me tight. I am on my knees as she wraps her arms around my neck.

She pulls away after a little bit and smiles at me. I lay back down on the pillow and look back at the stars. I feel Fayette shift and before I know it she is laying down right next to me. She wraps herself up in my and curls to my side.

I let her do this. What seems like hours goes by and I'm stroking her hair as her breathing slows.

"Fay?" I ask and she responds with a hmm. "Just wanted to know if you were up." I say and she nods against me.

"Do you want to go home now?" I ask and notice she is playing with my rings. I may or not have started to wear them because Abby told me Fayette thinks they're hot.

There's something wrong with me.

"Sure" She says and gets up. She grabs the pillow while I grab the blanket and we head to the car. As soon as we get in she falls asleep against the window.

I drive home as she sleeps peacefully. When we get home, I go to her side of the car and pick her up bridal style. I carry her up the stairs to our floor. I fiddle with the keys and open the door.

Abby and Cole must be passed out since their door is closed and the lights are off. I lock the door and walk to Fay's room. I open the blankets and tuck her in. She rolls over to get comfortable. I turn her lights off and shut the window.

I look at her and give her a goodbye wave as I walk back to my room.