4- Bad news

Stella's P.O.V.

When Claire and I first got to the hospital, the receptionist probably thought I was crazy for bringing her into the E.R. because she had a fever but I knew something else was going on with her.

They talk about a mother's intuition and I was having that.

I had explained to the doctor how she's been tired the past few weeks and now the fever has started. While I talked to the doctor and he asked some questions, Claire started throwing up.

It broke my heart to see my little girl like this. Being a parent is one of the hardest jobs out there, especially when your child is sick and you just want to make everything better for them.

I was now sitting in the room with Mom and Dad watching as Claire finally slept in the hospital bed, peacefully. She was hooked up to IVs now to help keep her hydrated as the doctor ran different tests.

I was tense and couldn't seem to relax. Closing my eyes, I released my one hand from Claire's. I cracked and rubbed the back of my neck, trying to relieve some of the tension as we waited to hear something.

There was a quiet knock on the door. I looked up to see my brothers and Eve walking in.

I got up from beside Claire's bed and gave them all a hug. "You guys didn't need to come."

"Yes we did. We'll always be here for you guys. Is there any news yet?" Tyson questioned.

"They're running more tests on her right now. I got a urine sample from her a little bit ago and they also did some blood work."

"Hopefully we'll have some answers soon. Do you need me to call Nate for you?" Luke asked.

Mom came up, rubbing my back. "No, sweetheart. I called him earlier this morning and let them know what was going on. Kelly was going in early to reschedule all of Stella's patients or see if the other hygienist would come in on their days off to help keep up. Hopefully it's nothing serious and everything will be back to normal in a few days."

Everyone tried getting me to eat something while we waited but I wasn't hungry. Dad bought me a coffee that I sipped on to help with the headache I had. After what seemed like hours later, a few doctors walked into the room together.

Doctor Ives, the doctor that has helped us since we got to the hospital this morning, gave me a sympathetic smile. "Ms. Collins, this is Doctor Foster and Doctor Ren. They're colleagues of mine."

Luke wrapped his arm around my waist, knowing having three doctors now in the room was probably not a set up for good news.

I swallowed the lump in my throat as Doctor Foster stepped forward. "Looking over all your daughters charts and after talking it over with the other Doctor's, the tests that we ran this morning clearly show us that one of Claire's kidneys is failing her."

"What?" I whispered.

Doctor Ives cut in. "Doctor Foster specializes in pediatrics transplants and is one of the best here in New York. He's flown all over the U.S. when he's needed in situations like these. That's why I wanted him here today with us."

"Transplant?" I couldn't hardly speak.

"I know this is a scary thing but she's in good hands Ms. Collins." Doctor Foster tried reassuring me. "My recommendation is more tests to make sure she's able to handle this transplant, this process will take a few weeks. We've already got her on fluids and I'll get her on other stuff to make sure her body stays strong. The tricky part is finding a perfect donor match. I'm assuming since she's five she doesn't have any older siblings?"