5- Needing a miracle

Stella's P.O.V.

It's been the longest three weeks of my life. I wasn't eating and I was hardly sleeping.

I haven't left Claire's side either. After she woke up after telling her about how her kidney was sick and she needed a new one, we talked about it some more. She was being so brave about all of this. More brave than I was to be honest.

I ended up not being a match to Claire and everyone else that came in to get tested, didn't match her either.

There were so many wonderful people that stepped forward, willing to help us out but it wasn't enough and I was starting to lose hope.

Her name was put on a list the day I was tested but Doctor Ren told me it could take a while for that to be a possibility and I knew we didn't have the time.

We needed a miracle.

I was so thankful for Nate and my job. They have been so flexible and understanding throughout this whole thing. I couldn't ask for a better boss or job. That unfortunately didn't help pay my bills though. I was okay for a while but my savings would only last so long, especially now that we had medical bills.

Overall Claire has been feeling better. They talked to me a few days ago about sending her home so Claire was more comfortable and able to be in the comfort of her own home until we got the call they found a match or until she started getting worse.

She wouldn't be able to go to school or daycare but my mom was going to come and stay with us Monday through Wednesday so I could go to work a few days a week to make some money.

Nate reassured me though that if it didn't work out, it would be fine. Claire came first.

Doctor Ren gave me his direct work number. If Claire got worse or came down with a fever again, I was supposed to call so he could meet me at the hospital. She was given a strict diet I needed to follow and daily medication to keep her body ready for the transplant.

I stopped by Claire's school today to pick up some school work they had ready for her so she had some learning stuff to do while being stuck at home.

Parking in front of my apartment I grabbed everything and went inside.

"I'm home." I said, shutting the door behind me.

Claire was sitting on the couch with my parents, playing go fish.

"Hi Mommy."

I washed my hands and brought the bag of things over to the coffee table and started going through it.

"Mrs. Donna wanted me to give this to you." I handed Claire the gift bag.

"Can I open it?" Claire asked.

"Of course you can, sweetheart."

She smiled as she took out the tissue paper. "Mommy look." She said, pulling out a stuffed bear that said 'get well' on it.

"Aww, that's cute."

She gasped as she looked inside the bag and started pulling out more stuff. There was playdoh, bubbles, crayons, markers and a few different princess activity books and princess jewelry.

Dad picked up the card, "Here's the card for it. It reads. 'Claire, we all hope you feel better soon. Sending you lots of hugs and well wishes. Love, Mrs. Donna' and look all of your classmates signed it too."

I put my hand on my heart, "Oh Claire, that was super nice of everyone. We have to make sure to send them a thank you card."

"Okay. I'll color Mrs. Donna a picture too."