13: The Red Dress

Percy POV

I stared at the large file on the desktop. As I scrolled through the pages, my mind rolled at all the red comments, suggestions, and edits. Zoe had returned my novel full of edits this morning.

Given the number of edits bleeding my book, I was surprised that they liked it. However, this is normal in the editing process. Zoe explained that as an editor, it's her job to fill the book with comments and edits. In reality, the Hunters loved my book.

Now, as I worked on the revisions, I could help but lull in exhaustion. It was after work, but I stayed behind to use the large desktop.

Athena Chase had already left the office. Most of the employees were also gone. I was lost in my work to notice anyone else.

I yawned while fixing another sentence in the fourth chapter. This was my fifth round of editing, and I was surprised that the book still had work to do. However, I wanted the book to be amazing when it finally gets published.

"Percy, it's late. What are you still doing here?" Annabeth asked.

"I could be asking you the same thing, Ms. Chase," I said without turning around. I fixed another punctuation error.

"Oh, is this your book?"

"Yeah. It's easier to read and edit the book on a large desktop. My laptop is pretty old, so this is just easier," I replied absent-mindedly.

"Bob?" she acknowledged.

Suddenly, I realized what was happening. She was silently reading my book from behind me. I quickly turned the desktop and gazed up at Annabeth. She was smiling while her gaze lingered on my computer screen.

Annabeth looked tired but still pretty. She was massaging her shoulder gently while trying to read more of my book. However, I was blocking the screen now.

"You're not supposed to read the book. It's not done," I exclaimed.

"Come on, Seaweed Brain. I'm curious, and it was right there. I couldn't help myself from taking a peak."

"Have you ever heard the phrase: curiosity killed the cat?"

"You're going to kill me now?" Annabeth chuckled. I sighed while turning back to my computer. I saved my progress on a drive before logging out. Annabeth's laughter died while she continued to rub her left shoulder.

"How are you feeling, boss? Is everything okay?" I asked with concern.

"Of course. Everything's great."

My eyes narrowed on her tired face. Annabeth was a very good liar, but I was very good at reading people. Something was bothering her for sure.

"Tip #8: you shouldn't lie to the employees who care about you. It's okay to be vulnerable, especially about your health and mood," I expressed firmly.

Annabeth rolled her eyes before walking back into her office. I followed quickly before the door could lock behind her.

She was already sitting in her leather chair, and her eyes were scanning the documents on her desk. She was busy working on the Amazonion project recently. There was a lot of pressure from the Olympus Magnate to get the renovations started. They were planning to reconstruct headquarters for many Olympus businesses.

I don't know what came over me.

I walked around Annabeth's desk and gently pressed my palms against her shoulders. She froze in confusion as I started to massage her back. Heat emanated from her body as my hands worked against her shoulders.