3.Imperfect pieces of puzzle

"She left??", Mehek asked being surprised although a tint of mockery still laced her words, "Gone without talking to you? Not a phone call? Not even a text?". "Absolutely", Shaurya slurred , mocking himself, "making a fool out of myself". ""Just between ourselves", she moved closer as if to confide a secret with him. She spoke softly, "I didn't feel any better when my groom arrived in person to tell me the bad news", then she threw back her head, laughing on herself, "I was embarrassed to the core as I ran behind to catch him. You were saved, Buddy. Atleast you had a private event with no guests". 

Shaurya appeared to think, "I agree. You made a bigger fool out of yourself", he laughed at Mehek's plight. Although he meant in good humour, she started to feel sad and tears came out of her eyes, "You are mean. All men are mean. He made a mockery of my wedding and you are enjoying". Even in his drunken stupor, he couldn't see a woman cry. "Apologies. I meant it as a simple joke. Please don't cry", he fumbled in his pocket to find his handkerchief. In his desperate attempt to comfort her like a gentleman, something heavy fell from his pocket while he quickly handed the handkerchief to her. He jumped down to grab the shiny object.

The ring. Shaurya glanced at it with affection. It was supposed to be on Pranati's finger as a symbol of their union. He brought it with so much love while Pranati had remained completely indifferent. She didn't mind the design or material. Hell! He didn't know whether it would have fit her finger because she never came of fitting either. Why didn't I see her lack interest earlier? Was I imposing my love on her as benevolence? Did she bear me out of helplessness?  While being baffled in his own questions, he looked up to women who was crying a minute before. 

Mehek looked at the ring, with admiration brimming in her eyes. "Indeed a beautiful ring", she appreciated his choice, "a solitaire with unique design on platinum. You have good taste". Shaurya knelt on ground and shifted the ring to her so that she can study it more. Her words of appreciation warmed his wounded self pride. "It's perfect", she appreciated looking at the ring & the man holding it to her, "It's evident from this ring that she was special for you". He sighed but didn't speak, just remained glued to his position. 

"OMG ! OMG ! OMG", a young woman from the crowd yelled in shrill voice, "He is going to propose". She startled Shaurya & Mehek but other were excited. People gathered around them and started to cheer for the couple. Mehek and Shaurya also found it endearing and went ahead with the play. "Will you marry me, Princess?", he proposed dramatically. His romantic words were applauded. Soon people urged her to accept him . "Yes, I will", she shouted and held her hand forward. He didn't waste anything to make her wear the ring. They sealed the proposal.

Surprisingly the ring was perfect fit on Mehek's finger. As if, it was meant for her. Crowd went wild with joy. Music became louder while liquor poured in abundantly. Mehek & Shaurya were intoxicated enough to find it enjoyable, despite tragedy they had recently faced. Amidst laughter and dance, Mehek shouted, "I want to wed him now". He grabbed her, "me too. Can't risk to lose another fiance?". "Me too", she yelled while holding him closer. They faced the crowd only to shout in madness, "Can you get us married?". All started to discuss and talk amidst one another while drunken couple pouted at them being confused yet cute. A drunken old hag came before and spoke authoritatively, "I think we can"

"Our ancestors used to get married beneath the big old tree in the corner of this resort. They believed her to be a Goddess of Nature", the old lady explained while sipping her beer, "It is believed that she is solemnises the holy matrimony as bride & groom exchange vows". Mehek and Shaurya giggled in excitement. Lady continued enthusiastically, "It's true. Couples still come to renew their vows after official marriage ceremony or while celebrating their anniversary. It so romantic. Beginning a new life with blessing of nature while expressing their mutual feelings. No hollow rituals or vain expenditure". 

"What do you say, Darling?", Shaurya asked holding Mehek's hand. "Let's go for it", she was totally in the mood. The entire crowd cheered for them once again. Someone made a crown with vines & flowers. It placed it over Mehek's head. "Now the you look like a true bride", the old lady praised her.

Shaurya and Mehek were still in playful mood as they stood beneath the mammoth old tree. Most people of around them were too high to make any sense of the play before them. "Come on", the old lady urged them, "go ahead, hold your hands and say your vows". "I haven't prepared any vows", Shaurya was being honest. "Just say whatever you feel from heart", someone shouted behind him. He looked on to Mehek's eyes. The adoration that his missed in Pranati was evident in the lady's eyes who now posed as his bride. Even if it was for fun, he poured out his feelings, "I promise to cherish you, protect you and love you till the end of the days", he kissed the ring on her finger, "with this symbol of love, I take you as my wife".

Mehek had prepared exquisite vows for herself and Reyansh. They were rehearsed multiple times so that her wedding will be a perfect event. But tonight the man before him moved her with his simple words of promise. They weren't memorised vacant proses but straight from  heart. So she too decided to give him an earnest vow. "I promise to keep your heart, safe and secure", she kept her hand on left side of chest, "here", she smiled as he seemed to be happy hearing her words, "I will always be at your side both for sunny and rainy days", she looked onto the ring and spoked earnestly, "I take you as my husband". 

Everyone around them cheered and many more applauded loudly. "Kiss your bride, youngman", the old lady shouted holding out her stout glass of beer. "May I?", Shaurya asked her like a gentleman. When Mehek nodded softly, he cupped her face and kissed her softly. His lips brushed hers hesitantly, as if seeking her consent. She remained impassive. Realising her reluctance, he was about to pull back. But when she started to kiss back, mimicking his actions and their kiss grew passionate.

"Now that's what I call a kiss of Love", the old lady congratulated them, "Now you both are husband and wife", she turned to the people who witnessed the ceremony, "Let the celebration begin". More drinks were poured. The bride and groom were made to drink again & again. They all were dancing and singing when someone nudged the bride playfully and spoke, "I guess it is time for newlyweds to leave. Afterall wedding is incomplete until spend the night together". 

The bar attender was happy to give the honeymoon suite for the newly married couple to spend their wedding night but he subtly asked them, "It's the most expensive room in this resort. I hope you will be able to afford it". Before Shaurya could answer, Mehek interfered, "He gave me my dream wedding so I will take care of our honey moon", she pulled out her credit card and gave it to him in style, "Bill everything to this card". Bar attender was delighted on receiving the elite card . He asked his employees to the lead the couple to the honeymoon suite. Once they parted, he gazed at the couple walking away and then read the name of the card Mehek Singh Mann. He faintly remembered the name but was unable to place her properly.

"Wow!", Mehek exclaimed as soon as they entered the honeymoon suite, "Its beautiful". "Not as beautiful as you", Shaurya complimented her slyly. He was drunk but still had a bit of his senses left. It was awkward when he was left alone with his newly wedded wife who was equally drunk as him. "I will take the couch", he tried to move away but she held his hand. "It's inauspicious for newlyweds to sleep separately", she moved closer,  snaked her hands around his neck, "Even worse if marriage is not consummated". "May be we should wait", he hesitated, "atleast until we are a bit sober". "I have waited long for my man", she spoke jovially but it was laced with pain, "now that I got him, I don't want to waste another moment. Aren't you afraid that we may lose one another tomorrow?". He could understand her. She was broken and betrayed; just like him. She need him to get over the night, so did he. Yet his principles held him back.

"Don't you think I am not worthy of your affections?", Mehek asked mocking herself while she was anxious for her husband's response. "You are precious. I am lucky to wed you", with those words Shaurya kissed her ardently. Once they parted, she traced his lips coyly, "Have anyone told you that you are a good kisser". "You are the first one who told me", he laughed with her, "But I know I am better in other stuffs too", he acted at par with her teasing while undoing her hair. "I can't wait to find out", she spoke hoarsely before pulling him to herself. 

May be it was wrong but tonight they both needed one another. They will regret later. Still tonight they no longer wanted to care. Tides of lust swept them away. Soon they sailed far away from morals & logic,  towards the forbidden realms of pleasure.