Chapter 13 - Not A Secret Anymore

Archana stared at Priya for a moment before answering her mother's question. She told how her father avoided her gaze that time and when their eyes met, Archana found the answer. Of course she didn't believe it, especially when the plane crashed. Day after day and year after year, Archana tried to find out the truth in every way she can until she finally found the evidences herself. She showed it to Parvati.

Slowly, Parvati developed a bitter smile. "Are you done talking about what you wanted to talk about?" Archana and Priya nodded.

"Okay thank you. Thanks for telling me everything, especially you, Archana. Thank you for confirming the truth."

Archana was stunned. Her neck felt like it was being strangled. She didn't have the courage to look at her mother. Her gaze kept looking down until Parvati lifted her chin so she could see Archana. Her eldest daughter's eyes, which usually shone brightly, now dimmed. There was only a gentle gaze that tried not to cry in front of her mother after telling all this. While Parvati stared at Archana shady. There was no anger in her eyes. There were no tears blocking the greenish-brown eyes. Then she turned to look at Priya, before finally letting out a sigh of relief and smiling.

The two sisters looked at each other. Both were confused by their mother's reaction.

"Mum. Are you okay?" Priya asked. Parvati nodded.

"Very good. I finally got some certainty about that."

"What do you mean?" Archana investigated.

"I knew it from the start-"

"What?" Archana interrupted. Priya was also confused hearing that.

"That's why I often feel sorry for you guys-"

"Because you let him go?" Archana cut again. Parvati nodded.

"But why, Mum?" Priya spoke up.

Parvati explained everything that happened between her and Arvind. A hint of disappointment flashed in her eyes again. Archana and Priya were silent, listening carefully to their mother's explanation, making sure no detail was missed. After Parvati finished telling about her father's affair, Archana and Priya glanced at each other.

"Still, it means he's an asshole, Mum. And it's good that you let him go. And again, you should have told us first since we were adults. You don't have to keep it alone. One more. Please stop apologizing, you shouldn't have said those words," said Archana firmly.

"We thank you for that, Mum. I don't want to live under the same roof with someone who doesn't respect women, especially his own wife," said Priya.

Parvati was a bit surprised by the reaction of her two daughters. She thought they would be angry or even leave her for lying, covering up, and letting Arvind go. But apparently not, both Archana and Priya supported her decision. She'd had enough of hiding this for years. It's also enough for Archana and Priya to kept this close. Now everything was clear.

"Now I'm afraid that all men are like Dad," Priya said.

"I've told you, na," Archana cut.

"Hmm. You know, Mum? She doesn't even think about getting married."

Archana opened her mouth, unable to believe Priya would say that in front of her mother. Parvati's eyes widen. After looking back and forth at her daughters, she now set her sights on her eldest daughter.

"Is it true, Archana?"

"Hmm, well... I thought so, Mum. I'm scared."

Parvati smiled, turning to look at Priya for a moment. "There is no guarantee that someone will be with you and love you until the end of his life, but remember, baby. Not all men are like that. What happened, had to be happened. Don't be afraid to fall in love. I can't stay with you forever. After I'm gone, I hope there is someone who will take care of you and make you happy. Archana, you have a gift. You always put it to good use. I'm sure you won't go wrong to whom you drop your heart. So are you, Priya. I'm sure you know what's best for you. I always want you to be happy," she said softly.