Chapter 14 - The Same Failure

"What?"

"Okay, I'll be right there."

Archana put sunglasses on and got up from her chair. She walked briskly towards her car which was parked in the wide yard. Several employees greeted her, but she only nodded or smiled in return. She stomped on the gas pedal until the car sped up quite fast. She had tried to contact Priya many times, but no one answered.

"Ah, traffic jam!" she exclaimed annoyed as she kept trying to contact her sister. Luckily this time there was an answer.

"Priya, how is she?"

"I'm on my way. There is traffic jam."

"How can I be calm, stupid?"

"Ya, okay. Thanks. You please take care."

***

Archana trotted along the hospital hallway. She slowed down when she saw Prithvi and Rakesh, one of the two workers in their house standing in front of a room. Archana stopped her steps before Priya who was sitting on the waiting chair with a tense expression on her face. The red light stuck a few inches above the door of the room was still on, indicating that the medical procedures being carried out inside was still ongoing. Archana greeted her sister by touching her shoulder and whispering her name. She occupied the empty space beside Priya while giving her a warm hug. She didn't ask what happened, though she was so curious that Priya spoke up.

"I found her faint in front of the stairs."

Before Priya could continue her story, the red light went out and a doctor came out from behind the door, lowering his mask. Archana and Priya rush up and meet the doctor. Archana was slightly surprised to see Aman behind the mask. Her forehead was covered with sweat and her face was pale. So was Aman. His mind kept wondering whether this woman whose eyes were filled with clear crystals was really Archana or not.

"Sorry, we tried our best, but God has called her home. Time of death at 11.49," said Aman in a flat voice. Before Archana or Priya could reply to his words, Aman continued, "She is being taken care of by the medical team, the rest will be handed over to the family."

Archana put her arm around Priya's shoulders. She must be strong. They had to be strong for each other. Priya hugged Archana tightly and brought all her tears down Archana's shoulder. So did Archana, although her cries were not like her sister's. Aman couldn't stand the sight. The feeling of wanting to hug Archana and Priya rumbled inside him. However, he only touched Archana's shoulder before leaving them.

***

"What a fool, Aman. You shouldn't have done this. See what the result is? You killed the mother of those poor girls. The mother of the woman who made you feel so much better. Wasn't one failure painful enough for you?"

"It's okay, Aman. The life and death of every living being is in the hands of God. There's no need to blame yourself for that. Everything is set up like this."

"Don't use your hands to separate someone's body and soul ever again, Aman. It's enough. No more things like this."

"That's just your fear, Aman. If the situation is critical, you must make a move. Isn't that why you chose this profession?"

Aman sat alone in his cold room. His mind was muddled in a heartbreaking silence. He covered his face with both hands. His eyes were puffy from remembering the painful incident that happened years ago, remembering how it had just happened again. It was the first time he had returned to that cursed room after staying away from it and again he experienced the same thing. He felt like cursing himself.

A moment later, there was a knock on the door and it slowly opened. Before getting a response, Archana purposely stepped into Aman's room without any hesitation.

"Aman," she greeted with her shaky voice.

Aman recognized the voice. He rubbed his face and turned away, asking for a moment to go to the bathroom. "What did she come for?" he thought after washing his face with cold water and patting it lightly with the towel. After he finished, he returned to meet Archana who was still standing frozen behind the door.

"Please have a seat, Miss," Aman greeted with a smile that looked doubtful and awkward.

"I think we've met and know each other a little, so please don't be too formal," replied Archana as she took a seat across from Aman's chair which was bordered by his desk.

Aman was surprised. He thought, she didn't recognize him because she didn't budge at all, apart from crying and hugging her sister when she saw and heard him deliver the sad news. "Alright, uh-hm, Archana. I-"

"May I speak?" interrupted Archana. Her gaze was serious but seemed gentle thanks to the light in her eyes that seemed to never dim. Aman nodded slowly and let her speak.

"Thank you. First of all, I want to ask about my mother. What happened?"

Aman choked. He then explained one by one the things that happened to Parvati, heart attack, shortness of breath, and a bit late being taken to the hospital. Archana listened carefully to every word that came out of his mouth. Her eyes locked on his which kept moving, unfocused, seemed to be trying to avoid hers. She felt he didn't have the guts to meet her gaze. The guilt that continued to well up inside Aman could be clearly seen by Archana. Even when he stopped explaining, he only occasionally glanced at her, just to made sure she was okay. However, the woman in front of him did not move. She just pursed her lips tightly, took a breath that felt suffocating in her chest and nodded slowly. The room fell into silence again.

"Aman," Archana grabbed his cold hand and held it tightly. Her gaze did not leave his face, which looked a bit pale.

"Thank you for trying your best to save my mother. The last rites will be held this evening at 6. I expect you to come. She should know who has put forth his strength and even tried to fight his fears to save her life." She stroked his fingers tenderly and smiled. She handed him a piece of paper before she left, leaving Aman alone in the room where the cold was piercing his skin. Aman looked at the paper in his hand. He saw Archana's name and address printed in black ink.

"You... How can I be there? Is your heart this soft or do you want to make me sink deeper into my guilt, Archana?" he thought.