Chapter 21 - Decision

Early in the morning, when the sun had not yet fully risen, even when the shadow of the moon still adorned the sky, Archana went to the backyard with a roll of thin black mattress and a water bottle filled with water. The cold morning breeze caressed her face. She intended to do a little meditation and yoga this morning to clear her mind before she made up decision. Ya, she realized she was in the middle between Priya, her own sister, and Aman, someone who had just appeared in her life, but felt and for some reason, as if he was robbing her peace. On the one hand, she understood Priya who thinks that Aman made them separate from their mother. Priya might need more time to deal with this. But still, for Archana, to think that way, was wrong. On the another hand, Archana felt that she couldn't let Aman face everything alone, even though there is Radha, his very own sister. But, it must be different, because there is a saying that goes, "Sometimes, when we feel pain because of something, then we realize it or not, that something is also the real antidote."

Archana actually doesn't know if she could be the antidote for Aman. She only thought that Aman felt that way again because of her, so she had to help Aman to deal with it. At least, be a friend to talk to. However, the image of what she found in Aman's eyes continued to haunt her. Archana was with Aman. A faint shadow, but that one she had never seen in anyone's eyes before. Don't have any idea, what made Archana so certain that Aman needed her.

Archana took a deep breath before spreading her mat on the grass soaked in the morning dew. She sat on, closed her eyes, took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. Try to calm herself so that her mind is carried away in calm. A few moments later, she started her yoga moved one by one and gradually. Time passed unnoticed. The sun began to shine. The beautiful yellow light illuminated and warmed the entire Earth. Just then, Archana closed her yoga and meditation activities. She tidied her things and took a sip of the water she had brought before she returned inside and lay down on the long light brown sofa in the living room.

Archana checked her phone, opened the calendar and paid attention to the details of each day's activities. There was no activity to keep her busy that day. Not long after, there was an incoming message notification on her phone. From Radha. She invited Archana to meet at lunch time at a coffee shop near the city park. At first Archana was confused by Radha's sudden invitation. However, she didn't care. After all, this is Radha, her own best friend. There is nothing wrong with Radha asking her to meet, besides after seeing her schedule, Archana was sure that there was nothing busy that made her refuse Radha's invitation.

***

"Hi," a voice startled Radha. None other than, the owner of that voice is Archana. She came to meet Radha as per her promise. Her hand held the cup of coffee she ordered at the front counter before she met Radha. Just one glass, as she could see from a few steps away, Radha already had her own drink. Radha got up from her chair and gave Archana a short hug.

"Sorry to keep you waiting," Archana said as she put down her luggage and took her seat across Radha's chair.

Radha smiled. "No problem, I haven't been here long either," she said which was greeted with a warm smile and a small nod from Archana.

"How's your day?"

Archana chuckled softly while rolling her eyes. "As usual. But not so busy. How about you?"

"Me? I have the same usual day. Go to dance class and think of new ideas for my writing."

"Are you preparing your new book?" asked Archana, a bit surprised. Radha nodded excitedly before hearing Archana open her mouth again only to say 'Wow!'

Radha's energy suddenly decreased. "Hmm, Archana..."

Archana took a sip of her coffee while looking at Radha and raising her eyebrows as a sign for Radha to continue her conversation. She knew his friend wanted to say something that might annoy her a little, because she could feel the difference in Radha's energy when she was excited a minute ago.

Radha was silent. Archana put her coffee cup back on the table. "What is it, Radha? Why don't you go on with your words? Is something bothering you? It seems so. Come on, say it," she said.

Radha was choked. No wonder Archana's words were true. She already knows Radha very well. Even the slightest change, Archana would notice it.

"Archana, sorry I couldn't be by your side on the day you lost Aunty. I'm sorry, because I just found out about my brother's involvement-"

"Ssshhh, Radha. That's enough," said Archana as she reached her hand out to grab Radha's and hold it. "It's passed, Radha. I'm feeling better now. So is Priya."

"I'm really sorry and feel bad for you," Radha's eyes started to tear up.

Archana smiled and sighed softly, but slightly heavy. "Hey, there's nothing to be sorry for, Radha. What happened, it was written like that, right? But remember, it's not because of Aman. You know? No one will ever know how long we will live."

Hearing that, Radha's tears couldn't be held back anymore. One grain dripped on her left cheek before another grain followed on her right cheek. Archana chuckled softly and took a tissue from her bag. "If you cry again, cry alone here. I'm leaving," she taunted as she handed two tissues to Radha.

Radha snorted softly while wiping her tears. "You." They both laughed softly as they went back to enjoying their coffee.

"Radha..." Now, Archana's voice weakened. Radha was humming in response.

"Is he okay?" Archana continued.

"If I say no, what will you do?" Radha replied which makes Archana silent. She wasn't sure.

"I'm serious."

"Oh, I thought you were still joking," mocked Radha. Archana chuckled.

"I saw you guys in the backyard during Diwali celebrations." Instantly, Archana fixes her gaze on Radha.

"You...saw us? Did you see everything?" said Archana. Her voice trembled slightly. Don't know what made her like that, but there was a feeling of fear that enveloped her heart.

Radha shook her head strongly. "But I know everything. He told me about it this morning. Honestly, this is the reason I asked you to meet."

Archana was still digesting Radha's intentions. With that reason, what is the purpose?

"Are you...really leaving?" Radha asked, getting straight to the point.

Archana choked. To think she had to make a decision so quickly, even though her mind had started to calm down because of the meditation this morning. However, still. She had to say it as soon as possible. To Radha, Aman's sister. The sister of someone who, for some reason, actually wasn't sure Archana could just walk away from him.

Archana looked around the room before looking back at Radha. "I... Radha, to be honest, I don't know. But, well... I think so."

Radha nodded slowly, but it was clear in her silence that she was wondering. 'Is this true?'

Meanwhile Archana, busy wrestling with her own heart. On one side, there is Priya, her only sister. They only have each other. On the other hand, her heart felt uneasy. She couldn't, didn't want to leave Aman like this. Plus, she felt that Radha seemed to have hope in her, as if Archana was the one who could release Aman from all those feelings. But Archana's decision was unanimous, she decided to maintain a relationship with her sister and will try to stay away from Aman.