Chapter 25 - Family

Archana planned to go to Arvind's house after today's activities. She also planned to stay there, since tomorrow is the weekend and there is no activity. She had contacted his father and Priya as well. Arvind was very happy, his daughter will visit him again. Arvind told this to Lata and Raj who were at home at that time. They all could't wait to see Archana. Before darting to Arvind's house, Archana stopped her car at a supermarket. She bought some chocolates, fruit, and snacks as gifts for her family.

Archana again drove her car down the highway in San Francisco under a fairly clear sky that afternoon. She stopped her car when the traffic light turns red. Inadvertently, she glanced in her rear view mirror and saw Nisha walking alone with her face slightly bent. When Nisha's steps are parallel to Archana's car, she opened her car window, called Nisha and asked her to get in her car.

"You just going home? Why are you walking alone?" asked Archana while driving the car because the green light was on.

Nisha nodded. "I used to walk alone, Di. My friends don't have the same direction as me." Archana nodded while her eyes focused on the highway that stretched before her. She felt Nisha was in a bad mood after hearing her tone.

"Nisha, do you want to stop by the cafe first? Treat on me," Archana said with the hope that this little thing could help her sister feel better.

Sure enough. Nisha's happy face slowly reappeared. She agreed to Archana's invitation with one request. She wanted to go to her favorite cafe, not far from their housing complex. Archana nodded and complied with Nisha's request.

Archana stopped her car in front of the cafe that Nisha was referring to. They entered the cafe and quickly ordered menus before occupying the empty tables and chairs in the corner.

"Nisha, may I ask a question?" Archana said while stirring her iced cappuccino. Nisha raised her eyebrows and continued sipping her iced latte quietly.

She put the glass back on the table. "What's that, Di?"

Archana smiled. "No, just want to make sure you're okay. When you were out on your own, you had a frown on your face. Why?"

Nisha smiled back to her, even chuckled. "Oh. It's actually nothing. It's just that, for some reason, there are some annoying little things happening on campus. Some even because of my ownself, so yeah..." Archana nodded at Nisha's brief story.

"But now it's much better, because you are here," Nisha continued with a big smile.

Sometimes they fell silent. However, there were also many things to talk about on this occasion.

"Didi, stay at home, please. Tomorrow is the weekend," Nisha asked.

Archana snorted softly and chuckled. "Indeed I was planning to stay overnight. Didn't Dad tell you?"

Nisha cheered happily. "But no one told me. Papa, Mama, Raj. What is this?" she said, pursing her lips. They enjoyed an afternoon at the cafe before returning home.

***

"I am home!" Nisha exclaimed which Archana followed when entering her house.

"Why are you so-" said Lata who had just come out of the kitchen. But her words were cut off when she saw Archana.

"Archana! Welcome back, darling," said Lata while hugging Archana.

Archana smiled and hugged her mother back. "Thank you, Ma."

"Huh, if there wasn't Archana di, Mama would definitely scold me for coming home too late," Nisha grumbled. The three of them chuckled. Lata rushed back to the kitchen. Archana followed behind Lata, while Nisha stepped into her room. Archana placed her shopping bag on the empty marble table.