Chapter 19 - About Last Night

"Good morning, Bhaiyya," Radha cheerfully greeted Aman when she found him in the dining room. Today, the siblings decided not to go out, they needed to clean up the house because of the party.

Aman immediately put his phone with the screen down, as if covering something. He responded Radha's greeting and rushed to take a piece of bread which was served on a wide plate. Radha was confused by her brother's act, but she pretended not to care and sat on her chair.

"What did you discuss with Archana last night?" Radha asked with her innocent expression as she poured mineral water until it left three centimeters from the mouth of the glass. The question surprised Aman. But, he tried to be calm, so that Radha would not suspect.

"Discuss about what? It was the first time I've met her, and that too because we accidentally collided," Aman replied while biting his white bread which he didn't put any topping on. Radha gulped her water and raised her brows. She put the glass back on the table and took two slices of white bread. One sheet was smeared with chocolate butter, while the other sheet was smeared with peanut butter. She put the two pieces of bread together.

"That is not what I mean. But when you guys were in the backyard," said Radha before taking a bite of her sweet sandwich. Her eyes widened as he waited for his brother's answer. Her cheeks seemed to move from chewing bread.

Aman snapped. His face reddened. "Did you see me?" Radha nodded.

"Why didn't you come to me?" asked Aman in a tone that was a little angry, but still under control.

Radha was shocked to hear that. "I didn't want to interfere. After all, Archana is my good friend who used to like you. You seemed to like her as well. Your gaze was very honest. So, I just let you guys talk. Then why do you get angry? If you have set your heart on her since the first meet, I don't need to bother looking for good woman for you. I know Archana. She's so much better, even than all the women you've ever dated."

Aman took a deep breath. "Radha, what are you talking about, huh? I wouldn't mind if you came or at least called me, or called her. I can't be with her. I don't want to be with her. I asked her to leave, but she stayed there, until she finally left."

Radha stared at Aman with a gentle look. "You asked her to leave? Why? Did she make mistake?" Aman shook his head. He rubbed his face roughly before laying him down on the dining table. Radha was confused and got worried. They were in silence for a while, before finally Radha spoke again.

"Bhai?"

Aman looked up to see his sister who was sitting not too far from his side. "It wasn't her who did anything wrong, Radha, it was me. Me. Do you remember when she lost her mother? It was because of me. Again I couldn't save anyone. After Dad, then Mrs. Parvati. Euh, I mean, Archana's mother. I feel guilty. I drain to the depth of the guilty that I don't want to see her. However, her shadow keep filling my mind, as if it never left," he explained at length.

Radha was shocked. She just found out about this. About her Aunt Parvati's death. However, Radha tried to be calm down. She didn't want her brother to feel even worse because he saw her panicking, tensed, even sad to hear his story. Radha fell speechless. Aman kept everything all alone. She just held Aman's hand and rubbed it gently, flashing a beautiful smile that this time wasn't the wide smile she usually had. There was an uneasy feeling in her heart because she only found this out some time later. Plus, remembering she couldn't come to Archana's residence to express her condolences and accompany her best friend at the moment.

"Hmm, Bhai. Can I still ask about what happened last night?" Radha asked carefully. She didn't want to offend Aman, who now seemed uncomfortable. Hearing that, Aman just nodded.

"You said you sent her away and she really did. Did she say anything before leaving you?" Radha inquired with a calm face.

Aman knew his sister wants to know what happened between him and Archana last night. However, he felt that Radha didn't need to know everything, so he just answered Radha's question without extending the story to something that wasn't asked. Aman told Radha that Archana was just taking his word for it. Radha was neither surprised nor wondered. She knew Archana very well. That woman is very good at understanding other people.

"That's it?" she added.

Aman nodded doubtfully before giving an answer. "But she was crying... I guess. I don't know, but I guess yes she did cry, then she left."

"She cried? Strange," Radha mumbled.

"Isn't that a natural thing? She also cried when her mother died," said Aman.

Radha exhaled roughly. "Are you stupid or what? Almost everyone cries when their parents die. But here we are discussing Archana who cried last night when she was with you. Oh no, I don't blame you. Just surprised, Archana doesn't usually cry for men."

They fell silent again. Aman took the glass from the tray in the center of the table and filled it with water. "I'm sure there must be something. But I can't blame my brother. I don't know anything that happened between them last night," Radha thought. "If I want them to be together, I have to find out about this."

"Then, what happened before you asked her to leave?" Radha rolled her eyes. She really wanted to know what had happened between them. The feeling of wanting to be cupid for his brother and her best friend slowly stirred inside her.

Aman squinted his eyes. He kept guessing Radha's intentions behind her questions about that night. "Why do you ask that?"

"To find out and decide what I must do to unite you two," Radha sneered while giggling. Aman lost his words. Either it was Radha's sincerity or she was just joking. However, seeing her smile and hearing his little sister's chuckle made Aman feel a little better, so he smiled too.

Radha pinched Aman's cheek right in his dimple. "This is my brother, Aman Srivastava. Doctor Aman Srivastava."

"Radha... What if I don't return to that cursed space again once and for all?" asked Aman. His smile slowly dimmed.

Radha thought for a moment before giving her response. "Bhaiyya, have you thought about it carefully?"

Aman smiled wryly. "There's no need to think about it any longer. Two people lost their lives because of me and now I live in pain and guilt that is stronger than any consideration. It's enough."