Chapter 26 - Adhere

"I'm good, Radha. How are you?"

"What? Your gift list has grown again?"

"Ya ya, okay. Take care."

Aman sighed after hang up his phone. A faint smile appeared on his face along with the dimples that accompanied. Hearing his sister's voice made him feel better. His mind was foggy. Two years since he asked Archana to leave. Unfortunately, the woman actually left. That's what he knows. In fact, she's not. Archana doesn't really leave. She often calls Radha to check on Aman's condition.

Archana never heard Radha break the bad news about Aman. The man often seemed dreamy. But Radha thought it's a process for Aman to neutralize all his feelings due to the painful events that have made him feel this way. Aman felt empty at some times. Never once he stopped thinking about Archana. Somehow the girl's shadow never left him. Maybe his guilt towards Archana and Priya still lingers. However, who knows how he felt when he asked Archana to leave? No one ever asked him about that, not even Radha. Only he knows the bitterness of being dependent on someone who sometimes makes him sick. The feeling turned out to be far more painful that Aman had never realized before. Sometimes, he thought. "What's between me and Archana? We only met a few times. Why do I feel attached to her?"

He got up from his seat and walked over to the large window overlooking the city park. A spontaneous plan popped into Aman's head to do a little exercise in the park this afternoon. He looked at his watch. Half past four in the afternoon. Aman pulled himself from the side of the window. He changed into a black jacket and black sweatpants. Not to forget, he was wearing his favorite running shoes.

Aman left his room and started jogging towards the city park which was only a twenty-five to thirty minute walk away. According to him, that's a pretty good distance. Not too close, not too far. Very sufficient for anyone who stays in the hotel who wants to exercise or just refresh the mind.

Arriving at the park, Aman sat for a moment on one of the empty park benches, stretched his legs and caught his breath. "Stupid. I forgot to bring water," he complained quietly.

He looked around the park until his eyes fell on a small shop. He thought they were selling mineral water, so he approached the shop. Having managed to get what he needed, Aman returned to the park and resumed his sports activities. Unknowingly, the twilight began to dawn. Aman returned to the empty park bench and rested his body for a while.

***

On his way to the hotel, Aman stopped at a cafe. He ordered a glass of iced mocha espresso and took a seat in the middle of the room. While waiting for his name to be called to take his order, Aman was busy working on his cell phone. Seen several times he put the phone to his ear and lowered it while chuckled slowly. His thumb moved as if he was typing a message on the phone screen.

"Mr. Aman!" shouted a barista calling his name, indicating that the coffee he ordered was ready.

Aman looked up from his phone and rushed to the counter to take his order. He was a little surprised to see a doughnut with a sprinkling of sugar served next to his iced coffee.

"This?" he asked slightly.

"Oh, this is a package along with the coffee you ordered, Sir," explained the barista with a friendly smile. Hearing that, Aman raised his eyebrows and thanked him before returning to his seat.

Dddrrrttt dddrrrttt!

His phone vibrated right after Aman took a sip of his drink. He glanced at the phone screen and saw Radha's name on it. He then swiped the green telephone icon.

"Why didn't you pick up my phone?" he said without greeting first.

"Is it wrong if I call my sister again even though you called me earlier?" he said.

"All right, then, just hang up."

"What else?"

"Accha? Who told you?"

"Archana?"

Not a surprising news for Aman, because ever since Archana appeared before him, he had the feeling that she had never left. Not for a day, not even for a second.