Chapter 25

EMMA

I wake up by the vibration of my phone, which ends my nightmare about Richard before he even appeared. Thank God. I hate it when my nightmares suddenly creep up on me again after a few quiet nights. They feel extra painful, perhaps because of the hope that they would stay away.

From under the covers, I try to reach the bedside table. The thought flashes through my mind that it might be Vincent, but probably not since I ignored all his messages and phone calls last night... And there were quite a few.

I don't know if I can talk to Vincent right now or anytime soon... I still have too much to think about.
Relief overwhelms me when I see Finn's name pop up on the screen. I forgot where I was for a moment, but when I pull the covers off my head I remember.

Finn: "Are you awake?"

I feel my cheeks lift up from a stupid smile that I can't get off. I'm just about to text back when I get another one.

Finn: "I'll be at your door in one minute."

I groan and then look at the time. It's seven in the morning. His mom probably isn't even home from work. Why the hell does he wake up this early?

Sighing, I throw the two blankets off me and smile again. I can't believe he remembered that... I didn't expect him to. I feel like nobody ever listens to the things I say, so the fact that he remembered such a small detail from so long ago warms my heart. I walk to my suitcase in my oversized T-shirt where I pull out some leggings, but the door swings open and Finn walks in before I'm even properly dressed.

"Fucking hell Finn, that wasn't even one minute!" I yell at him as I pull the fabric of my legging over my buttocks in a startled jump.

"Good morning to you too, sunshine. And don't worry, I've seen your legs before." He winks.

"When we were kids, you prick." I walk back to the bed and sit on it with my legs crossed. I pull the warm blankets over my legs again and feel like I want to bury my face back in the pillow. I went to sleep way too late.

"Yeah you're right, a lot has changed." He smirks. It's hard to get angry or annoyed about his early visit, his presence makes everyone's day begin great.

"You're up early." I rub my hands over my face to help myself wake up. When I rub my burning eyes, I feel the damage all the tears that kept flowing last night have done. I hope Finn doesn't notice.

"We're going to do something fun today." He pulls the covers off me before I can stop him.

"Finn!" I protest as the cold air of the room attacks my body. I want to grab the covers back but then Finn reaches out his hand to help me get up.

"What possibly could be fun so early in the morning?" I ask with a sigh, but grab his hand anyway and get up from the bed.

"With me? A lot of things, darling." He grins at me, turns me around and gently grabs my shoulders. "But today we're going to blow off some steam." He pushes me towards the door.

"Should I know what that means?" I laugh, wide awake now. I can't stop to think about how easy this all feels. Being with Finn, at his mom's house and just laughing together. It feels like he never left.

He leads me to the bathroom. "Put on something sporty." He grabs a towel from somewhere and puts it on the sink before disappearing through the door again. I look perplexed at the door that slams shut.

🖤

After a hot shower and getting dressed in the guest room, I hear a knock on the door.

The door opens halfway and I hear Finn's amused voice from behind the door. "Are you dressed, darling?"

"Yes, come on in." I say as I'm searching in my suitcase for my make-up bag. This is the second time I've emptied my suitcase and I'm sure I packed it. Or maybe I left it on my bed in London...

"Not that I would mind if you weren't." I hear Finn break my thoughts as he walks in.

"Funny."

He sits down on the bed and rests his elbows on his knees, watching me. I walk to the small bag I brought with me and start digging in it. Finn continues to study me in silence for a while. His eyes follow my movements until I lower myself to the floor next to my suitcase in frustration. "Fuck." I mumble to myself.

"What's wrong?"

"I think I forgot my make-up bag in London." I say disappointed.

"And why would that be a problem?" He asks.

"Because... well, I need my foundation, otherwise people might see my freckles." I say softly, suddenly ashamed.

"So?" He stands and puts his hands in the pockets of his black joggers. "You don't need makeup."

"But Vincent always says-"

"I don't care about what Vincent says." He interrupts me. "Those freckles look sexy as hell on you. So get that pretty ass up, we're leaving in one minute."