Chapter 28

EMMA

Finn pokes my waist as I try to hang up my coat. Laughing I try to push him away, but he grabs my wrists.

"Stoppp." I laugh softly. "You told me to be quiet because your mom is asleep. She's sleeping because of her night shift, remember?" I remind him.
I hope to see her before she leaves for work again tonight.

"You're right." He lets go of my wrists and looks at me as if he's surrendering, but then he grabs my hips and throws me over his shoulder. "I guess you'll have to be quiet then."

"Finn!" I scream. I quickly put my hand over my mouth to smother my laughter. He walks up the stairs straight to the bathroom and puts me on my feet. He holds me for a moment longer, to make sure I find my balance. But once I'm stable and standing firmly, he still doesn't let go of my hips.

We look at each other in silence. His onyx coloured eyes are dark and light at the same time. They speak a thousand stories. From the past, but also of the years I was out of his life. Stories I try to unravel without asking. What would have become of us if he never left me? I can't help but wonder if I would've ever dated Vincent if Finn stayed in my life...

I blink away my thoughts and clear my throat. "Can I take a shower now?" I ask as nonchalantly as possible.

A mischievous smile forms on his full lips. "Go ahead, darling."

"Alone." I clarify, trying not to think about him naked.

"I thought best friends shared the bathroom?"

My cheeks turn red at the thought. "Yes, but not at the same time!" I sputter.

"I've heard otherwise." He chuckles. Strange tingles run through my body telling me I want to pull him closer to me, but I shake my head laughing and push him away from me towards the door.

He grabs my wrists again, something that secretly drives me crazy, and unexpectedly pulls me closer. Air escapes my lungs and I look at him breathlessly.

"Are you sure you want me to go?" His tone is low. I look at him in silence and feel his heartbeat pounding against my hands. I want to say no... I want him to stay with me, to shower with me, to do things I don't dare dream about, but I can't. What we did in the gym was a mistake. I have to talk to Vincent first. We didn't break up yet, although I'm planning on ending it tonight.

"Yes." I softly say.

We look at each other in silence for a while and then he lets go of me.

"Your wish is my command, darling." He walks out of the bathroom, leaving me with strange feelings and a spinning head.

🖤

My hands are shaking when I knock on Vincent's office door. I felt a lot stronger when I imagined this in the shower this afternoon. I have to do it, as much as it hurts me, I have to tell Vincent it's over between us.

"Yes?" I hear him calling from the other side. I take a deep breath and exhale heavily as I hold on to the doorknob. I open the door slowly and cautiously, as if expecting him to fuck some stupid bitch again. Thinking about it makes me angry. When I see Vincent sit behind his desk, I close the door behind me. He turns from his desk and looks up at me, his eyes widening in surprise. He probably wasn't expecting me. Well he's not the only one.