Chapter 52

I tried to give you all the ending you deserve. But I hate endings so it was hard writing one. I hope everyone will love it as much as my bestie loved it.

🖤

I stare at the ceiling and hear Finn breathing softly next to me. He's been asleep for the past half an hour. The sun will approximately rise and the day will start, but I'm not able to fall asleep and still haven't made up my mind about what to do with Vincent. I haven't even wrapped my head around all that happened in the past twelve hours.

I look at Finn and adore his perfect face for a minute before I finally decide to get out of bed. While I grab my hoodie from the bathroom floor, I listen for noise inside the house, but hear nothing but the rain outside.

I walk down the stairs and stop mid movement when a cold wind rushes past my bare legs and I notice the front door is ajar. I slowly descend the last couple of steps and walk to the door, looking outside.

The thick rain that falls down makes it impossible to see anyone, until I see a small orange dot light up in one of the cars. I squeeze my eyes together to focus on the small dot that disappears again and realise it's a cigarette.

The car window is slightly open, but not enough to see who's inside. Before whoever is inside that car can see me, I walk back and into the living room.

My gaze shifts to Blade, who is sleeping on the couch. That means Rush is the one in the car, since Finn is sleeping upstairs. They both must be pretty confident about their knot skills if they leave the front door open when the first thing Vincent will do is try to escape as soon as he wakes up.

I quietly walk past Blade, into the dining area and the kitchen where Vincent is tied to a chair and still unconscious.

He's moving his face a little and I hear him groan softly as if he's starting to wake up. I can't move and just stand there watching him until his eyes finally flicker open and he looks around confused. His gaze wanders through the kitchen and then to me and his eyes widen when he sees me. He tries to say something, but his words are nothing but mumbles through the cloth in his mouth.

My expression turns into a poker face when I walk up to him slowly and lift my shaking hands to take the cloth from his mouth, letting it fall to the ground. He breathes in deeply, making me glance back to the couch to see if it woke up Blade.

I just need to talk to Vincent, alone. Without these men around me all the time. I look back at Vincent and see he followed my gaze, which made him realise he has to be quiet too.

I swallow. My mouth feels dry, but I'd be damned to show him what this does to me. My eyes dart to his ripped shirt and the cut on his arm underneath it, finally seeing where I stabbed him with the knife.

"You're alive. Thank God you're alive." He whispers, leaning forward as much as the rope allows him to.

"What?" I ask confused. How is he happy that I'm alive when he tried to kill me?

"I don't know what came over me, I— I—" He stammers, struggling to put his thoughts into words. "I never meant for things to go this way. I just wanted to take you somewhere nice and—" We both look back when Blade shifts on the couch, but after a minute of silence he's still asleep. "Please untie me. Please, Emma." He begs.

His eyes become watery and I think it's the first time I've ever seen him tear up.

I swallow the brick that is stuck in my throat and say "I can't do that."

"So now what, Emma?" He asks. "You'll let them kill me?" More tears brim the corners of his eyes and his lip trembles. It breaks my heart to see him like this and I— I sympathise with him. Fuck, I'm a stupid bitch for it, but I feel sorry for him. For who he was, for the boy I fell in love with years ago.