Chapter 18 - The Spell

Alexander's pov:

I've been looking for Elektra all morning to no avail. I started to worry about her. Maybe something bad happened to her. I asked a passing omega girl to let her know I was waiting for her in the library. I was waiting for Elektra to appear when the girl returned, notifying me that she was nowhere to be found. I wonder where she went...I really hoped I could see her again before I left. My beta, Steve came in after a while. I was sitting in one of the armchairs in the library room and looking out into the dense forest. The view was truly magnificent!

-"Alex we have to go. The time has come."

-"Yes, yes I'm ready" I said and got up. We both left the room and went down the hall. That's when I saw the same omega girl I met in the library this morning.

-"I am sorry can you do me a favor?" I asked her.

-"Yes sir of course" she said eager to please me.

-"Steve can you lend me your pen?" I said to Steve. I knew he always had a pen in his pocket. He is a man of old ways and prefers to leave me messages on paper rather than sending me one on my cell phone. I took the pen and a piece of paper and wrote a farewell note to Elektra. I just could not leave without saying goodbye to her, even if it was in this impersonal way. The note wrote:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~**~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I'm really sorry I say goodbye to you in this way but I was looking for you all morning to no avail. I want you to know I had a great time and I really hope I see you again soon. Take care of yourself. I already miss you!

                                                                                                                                                                      Alexander"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~**~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- "Take this note and give it to Miss Elektra. Give it only to her, do you understand? "I told the girl.
-"Yes, Alpha I will take care of it!" she said, bowed to me and left.

I immediately felt relieved. I didn't want her to think I left without saying goodbye. Even though I know she's not my mate, I can't deny that I feel something really special about her. Besides me, my wolf feels the same way.

I got out of the pack house where my SUV was waiting for me. We were ready to leave. A feeling of sadness suddenly came over me, as if I had left something very important behind. My wolf suggested we look into it more as no one could deny that there was something deeper between me and Elektra. I decided before returning to my pack to go to Esmeree. Esmeree is a witch that the queen of her convent wanted to eliminate when she was born because of a prophecy that said she would be the next queen. My parents protected her and her family. He stayed with us until Bartholomew attacked our pack. Since then she lives in the forest hiding from her enemies, just like me. We were going through the dense forest when I suddenly told Steve to pull over.

-"Don't you think you are acting a little risky lately?" Steve commented.
-"Relax; I have to see Esmeree that's all. I want her advice on something very important"
-"Do you want me to wait for you?"
-"No, no go on.......I will meet you at the pack"
-"Ok take care of yourself. Those bastards are out there looking for you!"
-"I know....."

I got out of the car and immediately shifted to my white wolf. I gave him the control and he started speeding happily. I owed to him as I haven't shifted for days.

I went through the forest and carefully headed towards Esmeree's cabin. Although it was in the middle of the forest, no man or wolf could see it, as it was protected from spells. Esmeree revealed to me how to find it and the runes one has to say to break the spell.

After one hour of walking I finally arrived at her cabin. I said the runes and broke the spell. Immediately the cabin showed up in the middle of the woods. I got in and sat on one of the chairs. The cabin was tidied. There was a wooden table with four chairs in the middle, a small bed on the right side and a wardrobe next to it. On the left there was the fireplace with a crock which had something boiling inside. I sat on one of the chairs looking at the fireplace when I felt something in my hands: a mug had showed up with coffee inside. Next to it, there was a note:

"Enjoy your coffee I won't be late,

Esmeree.

P.S Don't worry about the crock."

Reading the note made me laugh loudly. Esmeree knew me so well. She was one of the few people that knew the real me. Before the attack, I was a very open person with lots of friends. But since the attack, I kept to myself. I wasn't the easygoing boy I used to be. 

Esmeree opened the door interrupting my train of thoughts.

-"Welcome Alexander. I've been waiting for you" she said with a smile.
-"Hi Esmeree, I kind of figure it out. You never offered me coffee before I asked you to" I said making a smirk. Esmeree rolled her eyes and sat on one of the chairs while a cup of coffee appeared in front of her. She took gently a sip and looking me straight in the eyes she said:
-"What brings you here?"
-"I want your opinion about something weird that is happening to me"
-"Before you tell me anything I must warn you that the time has come, you must prepare yourself. War is very close."
-"You know that I am always prepared! Now about the thing I wanted to discuss with you......"
-"Tell me......" Esmeree said taking another sip of her coffee.
-"I have met a beautiful woman with whom I am in love. Her name is Elektra, and she is the daughter of the Alpha of the Black Shadow Pack."
-"I know who she is...." Esmeree commented arrogantly. It was my turn now to roll my eyes. I did it and kept on talking.
-"The strange thing is that even though she is not my mate, I have all the symptoms I should have with my mate when she is near me. And I know she's got them too.... Why is this happening?"
-"Let me deal the tarot cards" she said and a card deck appeared in front of her. She took them and started shuffling them. She put down the deck and told me to split it into three parts which I did. Then she took the cards and started laying them on the table. After a while, she stopped laying and started to look at them thoroughly. Several minutes passed in absolute silence  when Esmeree raised her head and looked me straight in the eyes.
-"My dear friend, it is crystal clear. You are mates"
"I knew it" my wolf exclaimed in enthusiasm while I was looking at her like an idiot. Although the news were more than good, it was hard for me to come to terms with the idea.
-"What did you say? Mates? No, no, we can't be..... How is this possible?"
-"Well it is!" she confirmed.
-"I would have known if we were...My my..... wolf doesn't recognize her nor hers recognizes me" Ι contradicted, although deep inside, I couldn't feel more happier.
-"It's because of a spell that was casted on her when she was born."
-"What? How do you know this?" I wondered.
-"Firstly because I saw it on the cards and secondly because I now realize that Elektra was the girl my mother put the spell on her to never find her match" she confessed lowering her head in shame.
-"Your mother? Why did she do such thing?"
-"Bartholomew forced her to do this. He threatened to kill me if she didn't" Esmeri explained.
-"But he never managed to catch you. The night of the attack, you left with us!" I contradicted.
-"My mother didn't know this. Although she was a powerful witch, she didn't have the gift of insight so Bartholomew managed to easily fool her using various tricks."
-"I see... And why did Bartholomew do such a thing? Why cast a spell on his own daughter?"
-"He did it because he doesn't want his daughter to find her mate. He believes that a mate will be an obstacle to her development as the Alpha of the pack"
-"What does he intend? Let her live alone forever?"
-"He thinks that he is the only one who must be beside her"
-"This is fucking sick!" I exclaimed in disgust. "That sick bastard! How dare he ignore our goddess?"
-"He is a very bad person. He has done far worse things than that."
-"Believe me, I know...... But I never thought that he would be so cruel with his own daughter! Are you sure that Elektra and I are mates?"
-"Except that I see it in cards, my mother confessed it to me before she died. She also gave me the spell to reverse it."
-"Why didn't you do it already?"
-"Cause you must be both present so that the spell can work"
-"That's easy. I will go right away to find her and bring her here!" I said with enthusiasm.
-"How are you so sure that she'll come with you?"
-"We are so close! It will be a piece of cake to convince her!"
-"I wouldn't be so sure if I were you....."