Chapter 79

It is cold. It is cold outside of Jin qing's room as well as it is cold inside. She had refused to light a fire inside her room to warm the space up lest one of her papers fall into the flames, but she was starting to regret it now that it was getting colder. Even snow had fallen last night, layering the floor like a thick white blanket. 

She was so close. Her plans have already been put into motion, and it's all going wonderfully. It was common knowledge that you're never meant to fight a war in the winter but it was her only chance if she wanted to weaken him and his army enough for her to fight him... even if it means that she'll have to sacrifice a city to do so. 

Jin qing shut her eyes. She didn't want to think about what he could be doing to the citizens of the city he was occupying-- no, the city that he was trapped in-- but her mind wandered around without her permission. She was too tired to keep her imagination in check, but she needed it to be able to think of solutions to all the problems that she needed to solve. Sure, dividing up some of the work for her trusted aids in court helped her get a few days of rest, but she never felt fully secure unless she was the one solving it all. 

Victory was close. She just needed to wait until he and his army is at their breaking point. This was their last chance. 

But until then, there was nothing for her to do except look through all the work that an emperor should be doing. With each second that passes when she's looking at that day's reports and complaints, she's even more grateful for the fact that she wasn't going to be involved in all of this once her job here was done. 

She couldn't help but look across her table at the single sheet of paper she had been pouring over since Shang ye left her room three weeks ago. she didn't need to read what was on that sheet of paper to know what was on it-- after all, she wrote it all herself. In fact, she's written the contents of what was on that piece of paper several times. 

Taking a break from her official work, she reached over and properly read the words one more time. She still wasn't satisfied with it, but there was no need to rush. She still had plenty of time before the contents of this letter were to be read by anyone other than herself. 

"Miss?"

Jin qing nearly jumped out of her own skin. She was so accustomed to the silence that Ye Bing's voice startled her. Ye Bing was about to apologize for scaring her, but Jin qing waved her hand dismissively. "It's alright. I... forgot that you were here."

"Miss, you need to get some rest if your body is asking for it."

"Don't worry-- I will when Im done. There are still some things I haven't looked at yet--" Jin qing reached over to pick up another report, but Bai Yan snatched it from under her hand. Jin qing stared at her. "give it back!"

"Doesn't this remind you  of the old times?" Bai yan asked with a grin. "Us trying to get you to sleep or go outside while you drown yourself in work. Im sure we can get you to do either of those again now!"

Jin qing smiled. Bai Yan spoke of "the old times" as if it was a long time ago when she had only been revealed as the Xue Xian for a little less than a year. It was bizarre to think that her life had changed so much in the span of such a short time.

"It's different now," she countered, still reaching for the report in Bai Yan's hand. "I was just called in for simple things. I never had to concern myself with all the other things an emperor is meant to do. Now I have to worry about everything so why don't you do me a favor and give me that paper--"

"Can I read it?"

"Bai Yan!"

"Alright, alright. Here you go, miss." Bai yan pouted, handing Jin qing the sheet of paper back. "If we can't read it, can't you at least tell us what's inside? You've even told us state secrets in the past."