Chapter 11

"Old man... The new emperor wants us to go to the court?" Qiu ye asked, holding on tightly onto her husband's arm.

"Yes, he does. He didn't state the reason, but wants us there as soon as possible." He sighed. "We can do nothing but to comply."

"We didn't do anything wrong did we?" Yu ling, the second wife asked.

"Not that we know of." He replied.

"Perhaps we did something right." Qiu ye smiled. "And the emperor wishes to reward us."

"That would be the best" Yu ling agreed.

"Before we go," he said "you children have anything to say? Kai feng?"

Kai feng shook his head. "No, father. I have been performing my duties as I was taught and ordered to do."

"Anyone?" He asked. "Huan le, you very so often visit the palace, have you done anything wrong?"

Huan le shook her head "most definitely not! I wouldn't dare!"

Everyone was silent.

"Then we leave. Get a carriage ready, we leave within the hour."

<>

Jin qing rode the carriage with Huan le and a crying Xue hua.

Xue hua was worried about the sudden calling. She worried that they did something wrong and was going to be punished.

Jin qing's heart broke to see her sister like this, sobbing on her lap. She said soothing and comforting words to help calm her sister down.

"What are you crying for?" Huan le said. "We did nothing wrong."

"Its the fear that we are falsely accused." Jin qing replied quietly.

"The right has nothing to fear but fear itself." She said. "The wisest of men have the clearest vision"

"Even the wisest men can be blinded and fall." Jin qing quoted.

"I bet you're not worried." Huan le said. "Look at that smug and calm face of yours!"

"As long as my last name is Li, I will act and think for the best interests of this family." She replied, understanding the meaning behind the words.

Huan le said nothing else.

<>

As the entire family walked in with Jim qing behind them, the entire court bowed.

Everyone was perplexed and assumed they bowed at Qiu ye, being the first wife and all.
But Jin qing noticed something else.

She noticed that everyone started to bow only when she came in, not when Qiu ye did. 

Xi Jian, the new emperor, sat regally at his throne, his expression filled with a youthful playfulness.

"Greetings to the emperor!" They said in unison and knelt for a kowtow.

"Rise!" He said. "Need not to worry, today I came to congratulate you."

Qiu ye looked up, puzzled. "What for?"

"For raising such successful children!" He exclaimed.

Qiu ye smiled brilliantly "if the emperor didn't provide such a safe place for us to raise them, they wouldn't be where they are."

"Let's see," he said. "Your eldest is officially a general. Your second son is a skilled musician and commander. Your eldest daughter is known for her talents and beauty, what a family!"