Chapter 14

Xi yan ended up going to the palace alone. Jin qing wanted to stay home where she hoped no one can bother her.

She, of course, didn't mind the servants coming in with boxes of tea leaves that occasionally dropped by to refill her own supply. They were bringing in food, how could she?

Qiu ye, Huan le's mother, came to visit her sometime before noon.

Jin qing was instantly alert, her back straightened, and her mind became less focused on her needle-work. She never came to her unless it was to tell her things or if she wanted something.

"Greetings to the Xue Xian," The woman smiles sweetly "At home since I am your maternal mother, can I address you by your regular name?"

"You may." Jin qing nodded.

She sat down across from Jin qing, and her eyes scanned across Jin qing's entire body. "You look pale," She said softly "Are you coming down with something?"

"No, I'm fine." Jin qing replied.

Qiu ye laid her hand on Jin qin's sleeves and stroked it motherly. "Your father is very proud of your success."

"I've heard."

"I wish every child under Li's name ends up doing this family proud. Don't you?" She asked, smiling sweetly.

"I do."

"Would you, perhaps, as sisters, teach Huan le how you became this successful." She said, "Would you want your sister to fall such behind?"

"No, I wouldn't"

Qiu ye smiled, a shine in her eyes. "Next time you visit the palace, can you take her too? She's very lonely at home."

"I will."

With a soft smile, she sighed "I see you are tired. Make sure to get some rest, Jin qing. I wouldn't bother you anymore. Have a good day." She said, stood up, and left.

Jin qing breathed a sigh of relief when she left. "Humph! Like I will!" she said a little while Qiu ye had gone. "She already goes much more often than me. Besides, if I was to teach her, would she listen?"

Bai yan and Ye bing looked at each other and smiled.

"What are you two smiling at?" Jin qing asked, frowning.

"Nothing," Bai yan smiled.

Jin qing rose her eyebrow.

"You can hardly have a day of peace now." Ye bing replied. "People are always coming over to see you, unlike before."

"Before, I was only that little lady of the Li family. I'm the Xue Xian now, we just have to get used to it." She grinned "Though who would have guessed? The shy and quiet lady who was rumored to mute is the most respected person of the entire kingdom."

"When the Emperor said to protect you were the key to his success, we almost didn't believe it." Bai yan smiled, and lit up a incense candle.

"I remember the day we were introduced to you, as clear as day." Ye bing sighed dreamingly. "Both of us was surprised to be serving such a young girl. We are only two years older than you."

"Come to think of it, you are." Jin qing looked up "Yet we act like we are the same age."

"Does that mean you are too mature, or are we too like children?" Ye bing laughed.

"A little bit of both." Jin qing replied, amused.

<>

Night fell, and her maids got her ready for bed after a short walk.