Chapter 44

Shen Feng leaned on the table, staring at the girl at his feet who was struggling to breathe. "Has years of peace erased how things work from your mind?"

"No, it has not. But clearly, after ten years your mind has been addled with age because you failed to surprise me with anything new-"

Shen Feng interrupted her by slamming the heel of his boot into her back, right into the wound he had inflicted the day before.

She let out a loud yelp as she was taken by surprise, and regretted it immediately.

"Oh, I have." Shen feng smiled. "But unfortunately, the Song emperor insists on Keeping you alive. I don't see why. You are a threat, and every threat should be eliminated."

"Then why don't you and your mother go ahead and fall on your swords-"

Shen Feng lifted her up by her hair, paying no attention to how painful it might be to have her entire weight dangling just from her hair. "You will show some respect for my mother. Have ten years of peace dulled your mind on how to talk to your elders?"

Wu Xin spat on his face. "That was when I didn't know any better. I talk about her however I want to. I show respect to whoever I want to. You can't make me do anything-"

Shen Feng dropped her on the stone floor with a solid thud. "Yes, we can. You don't want the prince of the Wei dying by our hands, do you?"

Jin qing was silent.
No. She did not.
And she immediately regretted staying silent as Shen Feng had begun to laugh.

"I see." He roared with laughter. "You show such a strong exterior, but inside you are crumbling. You showed no sign of weakness for the last week, always answering my threats with a snarky remark. But I see..."

"Hand me a knife and I'll make it so that you don't see."

"Don't try to cover it up, dear sister." He lifted her chin up with his foot. "I know affection when I see it. You may be a master at reading other people, but you cannot read yourself. The small moment of panic and fear that was reflected in your eyes... Well, I now have a reason for you to cooperate with us, yes?"

"And betray the country in which I have called home for the past ten years?" Jin qing asked, looking up in defiance. "And help you reclaim Liang? I would rather die."

"I know you would." Sheng Feng answered. "But I have hostages. I have more than just the prisoners we took from the Wei to kill."

Jin qing knew who he was talking about, and this relieved her in a strange way. The fact that he was still talking about Yu Qi's identity in an ambiguous way told her that he hadn't found out about Yu Qi and her meeting on her first day here.

"Hah. Like I care much."

"Oh no, you care very much." Shen Feng answered. "When trying to get information out of you... creative measures will be used. But I suggest you hurry and make your choice. Time for you... is running out."

<><><>

So desperately alone.

Visited by the people she didn't want to see.

<><><>

Later that night, Jin qing lifted her head from her hands when she heard footsteps coming down the stairs.

It was far too early in the night for Yu Qi to come back. Shen Feng had just seen her this morning. There was no way that the old lady herself would come down at this hour, and the footsteps seemed too light for an elderly lady.