Chapter 6 Harry's POV

After the feast, the Gryffindor common room was buzzing. Everyone was asking about the new teacher, and all of the school somehow knew Ron, Hermoine, Ginny, Neville, Fred, George, and I were the ones who knew Percy the best. The whole house tried to find out what the class was about, when we said over the noise that Percy hadn't told us anything about it. It was just as much surprise to us as to them. Disgruntled, they went to bed.

I fell asleep after I hit the bed.

We arrived in the Great Hall for breakfast the next morning. Percy was already up at the table, talking with Dumbledore. We tried to catch his eye but he was in deep conversation so he didn't see us waving.

Hermione, Ron, and I sat down at the Gryffindor table and started to eat before heading off to class. Our schedule for today was:

8:00 Charms

9:00 Transfiguration

11:30 Lunch

12:45 Defenseless against the Dark Arts

2:00 potions

3:15 Free Hour

4:30 Defense Against the Dark Arts

5:30 Dinner

We had a busy day. That meant History of Magic, Divination, Care of Magical Creatures, and Herbology tomorrow. I finished eating then Ron, Hermoine, and I, plus the rest of the 5th year Gryffindors went to Charms. To say I was excited for Percy's class was an understatement.

When we returned to the Great Hall for lunch, we waved down Fred and George and told them to tell us about Percy's subject.

"We can't tell you mate," said Fred.

"Yeah," George said, "We can't say anything. Best be a surprise. But it's the best class so far. He's really good at his job, he is."

And then the twins left. Percy left lunch early and the moment we finished lunch, Ron, Hermoine, and I practically ran to the classroom. We walked in and suddenly stopped. There was a bucket of weapons in the corner of the room. Percy was at his desk at the front of the room. He looked up when we walked in.

"12:45 already? Come on in. Sit down wherever. I'll explain everything once the rest of the class shows up." He grew a small smile. "Which are right behind you. I suggest you move away from the door."

I turned around to see the class standing in the hall. We hurried in and sat down. Percy was watching the class come in, his hands drumming on the desk with excess energy. I think he was ADHD.

As soon as it was time, he stood up and started talking.

"Welcome to your new class: Defenseless Against the Dark Arts. I've heard a lot of guesses today on what it is, and I want to see what you all think it's for."

He looked over the class for hands and saw Hermoine's, Malfoy's, and Seamus'. He called on Seamus.

"Well, I think this class is for when you can't get to your wand and you have to fight I guess, seeing the weapons in the corner."

Percy nodded then called on Malfoy.

"It's a class for worthless muggle fighting skills. We have magic. Why would we need a sword?"

Percy raised an eyebrow but said nothing. He called on Hermoine last and said:

"And to answer his question, Hermoine, why would you need to learn a muggle way of fighting?"

Hermoine straightened up and responded, "In the case of a wizard's wand failing them, or an entity cannot be harmed by magic you must know how to properly defend yourself until you can get help."

"Correct. Now as she said, this class will help you learn how to fight without the use of a wand. But, while some creatures can be harmed physically, some can't. So this skill can't help you everywhere. Dementors for instance, cannot be physically touched. Only magically. So I wouldn't recommend trying to take a Dementors on hand-to-hand. But creatures like, Griffins, Drakons, even Chimeras, can be harmed by combat without magic." He went around his desk and sat on the other side.

"Professor Dumbledore wanted you all to learn how to fight without a wand because you cannot, I repeat, CANNOT, rely solely on a wand. Now seeing as how none of you have probably fought hand-to-hand before I'll show you a few things to get you started. And because this was a question asked before often, in America this was a skill we had to learn. I won't put you up against another person for a little, but I have a friend who offered to give a demo with me."

A blond girl stepped out of the shadows. He eyes were gray and she was barely shorter than Percy.

"This is Annabeth."

The girl smiled and faces Percy like she'd fought him a million times.

"Ready?" Percy asked.

"Go," Annabeth said. And they fought.