Chapter 3 - Who's the Queen Bee?

I had never been nervous about going to a new school. I did it a lot when mother was trying to find the perfect spot for her restaurant before she found this place. I guess I was more nervous about the fact if I fucked up and it got back to mother, that would be the last straw.

"You'll be fine," Gulla patted her clawed fingers on my head, as if sensing my anxiety.

"I hope so," I mumbled underneath my breath. I knew they were already expecting me, considering I had met the principal and the teacher I was going to have a while ago.

My mothers driver drove me to the school. Apparently mother herself was too busy with the restaurant that morning, which I wasn't surprised. That was probably the only thing that saved myself from being chewed out for ditching work again. Than again, she had enough workers that could have done what I was doing.

"Here you are, Miss Charlotte," he stopped in front of the school. "Just call me if you need a ride, yes?" He knew the routine by now. Sometimes I did my own thing, which was most of the time. He only brought me to school so that mother knew he did his job.

I bowed slightly in respect. "Thank you, Mr. Moulin." He always had my best interest at heart and I considered him more of a father figure than anything. He understood what I was going through, and how mother treated me as if I was an object rather than a person.

With a nod he drove off and I whirled around, facing the school. Taking a deep breath I made my way up the stairs, passing by a girl with blue pig-tails and a ginger haired girl wearing glasses. Though trying to walk past them seemed futile as the pig-tailed girl noticed her. "Wait! Are you the transfer student?" She called out, jogging over to me. The other girl she was talking to trailing behind.

Scratching the back of my neck sheepishly, I nodded my head. "Yeah, that's me. I guess I'm already news around here?" I wasn't surprised. I figured any new student would be news, considering the circumstance.

"It's hard not to hear when you're replacing Lila," the ginger haired girl chuckled, shaking her head in bemusement. "Miss Bustier told us to show you around the school. Or she told Marinette to, since she's the class rep." She pointed her thumb to the pig-tailed girl beside her. "I'm Alya, Alya Cesaire."

"And I'm Marinette Dupain-Cheng!" The pig-tailed girl, Marinette, introduced with a grin.

I blinked in surprise. They were very friendly and I couldn't recall the last time I've seen so many friendly faces. Albeit they were only two faces, but two faces were better than none. "Charlotte Belleguarde, but call me Lotte." I welcomed the friendly atmosphere. I'd lived in tension too much in my lifetime to live it at school.

Marinette beamed at me happily. "Welcome to College Francoise Dupont! I know it kind of looks big now but don't worry, once you've walked the halls for a few days it'll feel like second nature," she waved her hand before fishing something out of her purse. "Miss Bustier gave me your schedule to hand to you, so you didn't have to walk all the way to the principal's office. His office is somewhat of a walk from her room," she admitted sheepishly with nervous laughter.

Raising an eyebrow I glanced over at Alya, who was just smirking at her. "Do you go to the office often?" I wondered in amusement. Maybe I'd have company in hell.

The bluenette blanched, shaking her hands frantically. "N-n-no! Of course not!" She adamantly denied. Alya just busted out into laughter, causing the nervous bluenette to glare at her friend. "As class rep I have to talk to the principal often, is all."

"So in other words, you're a teachers pet?" I scrunched my nose up in distaste.

At that Alya completely let loose. "I'm sorry girl, but she hit it spot on!" She high-fives me, and I chuckle a little at the scene Alya was making.