Chapter 30 - Break into Season 4

There was an awkward silence around the table as I fidgeted. Antoine and my mother had sat me down, and I was afraid of what they were going to tell me.

I knew that they were trying again. That much was evident, as I knew Antone, or should I say my father had taken my mother out a few times. He was trying, at least, and that was good enough for me. Though I knew how much of a hardass my mother could be with certain things - her stubbornness knew no bounds.

Clearing my throat I gave my parents an awkward smile. Parents. That felt weird to think about. "So...?" I trailed off with a wince.

This was so awkward.

"So first thing," dad started griffly, turning towards mom who nodded her head. "You know longer work with Gabriel's company as a model." At that I sighed in relief. Thank goodness. I loved working with Adrien, but modeling was not my forte. "Your mother and I are going to try again. So I'll be living in the mansion, but in a separate room." He told me gently and I nodded. I could handle that.

"We think it also might be best for you and Adrien to take a break for a while," mother stated softly and I blanched at that, giving her a horrified look. "Dating a celebrity can be taxing. Adrien is a popular boy, model in the making and his father plans on using that to his advantage. We don't want you getting mixed up in that," she told me gently and I scoffed.

"Oh suddenly dad is back in the picture and you act like you care?" I snapped, earning a hurtful look from mother. "I'm not breaking up with Adrien, end of discussion on that conversation!" I growled venomously. I pushed myself back in my chair, standing up in determination. "It's always been about your business with you, mother, and I want to be happy on my own agenda for once!" I threw my hands up in the air, everything just suddenly spilling out of my mouth. Months ago I wouldn't have been able to do this. But she's asking me to break up with Adrien?

This bitch had another thing coming.

"Breaking up with Adrien wasn't in the cards, Julia," Antoine gave her a look, which she just rolled her eyes at. "You don't have to break up with him. Though I do want to speak to you about that later," he gave me a knowing look and I nodded. Mother just looked confused, which was the best thing I've ever seen. "Though I do want you to stay away from Gabriel," Antoine continued and I scrunch my nose up at that.

"Why?" I questioned, confused. I could feel Gulla squirming in my pocket at that and I would ask her about it later. If she'll even tell me what I want to know.

Dad sighed, exchanging a look with mom. That made me furrow my eyebrows. What did they know that I didn't know? Would it help the team somehow? "Just trust me, sweetheart," he told me gently and I just nodded, still slightly confused.

"Okay now..." Mother trailed off, standing up from her spot and stretching. "I have to go to the restaurant. I have a few interviews for a new chef. Our last one quit," she explained when I raised an eyebrow. Well, that much was obvious. She was a little tough on her workers. A lot of the average workers stayed for a long time, used to harsh treatment, but she should at least treat the chef a little better if she wanted them to stay on the team.

"Have fun!" I called out, earning a small smile from my mother. We'd never had a relationship where we could just be playful with one another. That was mostly her fault. I wonder if I could get Antoine to convince mother that becoming a full time artist would be a good thing and that I can do it. Once she left the mansion, I turned to look at my dad with a raised eyebrow. Gulla flew out of my pocket, along with the Swan Kwami who also came out of hiding. "Oh hi, I don't believe I know your name?" I wondered as dads Kwami flew in front of my face.

The Swan beamed, they're blue eyes shining brightly as they landed on the palm of my hand - leaning into my touch when I stroked its head. "I'm Kuga. It's so nice to meet you! Your father has told me a lot, even though you guys haven't ever met!" She grinned and I blinked in surprise, glancing up at my father who was glaring at the Swan Kwami.

"Hello Kuga, it's so nice to meet you!" I beamed, "I'm Charlotte, though you already knew that. This is my Kwami, Gulla," Gulla raised a tired wing as she rested on my shoulder, already zoning out. "Now why do I need to be careful around Gabriel Agreste?" I wondered, getting straight to the point as I glanced up at my dad, whose face had now hardened.

Pursing his lips, he shared a look with Kuga. That just made me furrow my eyebrows even more, confusion clear on my face as Gulla woke up completely at the seriousness of the conversation. "Gabriel Agreste is a dangerous man, Char," Antoine started out gruffly, eyes casting over something strange that I couldn't quite process. "I'm not saying that applies to his son, but Adrien is a big part of Gabriel's life. Or at least, hiding bits of his life." He continued and I narrowed my eyes at that.

What did he mean by hiding parts of his life?

"Hiding what?" I asked in a clipped tone. Adrien deserved the world. He was a ray of sunshine, a reason why I liked him so much.

With a sigh he gave me a sympathetic look. "That I cannot tell you yet," he told me and I groaned in aggravation. "I don't want to tell you something that might not be true. I'm investigating the matter. However, it's been kind of tough, considering I am not even allowed near the Agreste Manor due to some issues we had in the past..." he trailed off, chuckling - probably reliving a memory or two.

"You're banned from Agreste Manor?" I echoed, laughing lightly. Though it probably wasn't that hard to get banned from there.

Antoine cringed at that, though there was humor dancing in his eyes. "It's a long story. Gabriel and I used to be friends," he stated and my eyes widened at that. "We have some history..." He trailed off, sighing. "We were friends with him, along with your mother and his wife." My eyes widened at that. I had no idea they were friends. Though it made sense, considering mother talked to Gabriel like he was a long lost colleague. That was how she talked to everyone though.

"So are you back forever, or are you back for just this instance?" I wondered, frowning. I had hoped maybe forever... It would be nice to get to know him, though I suppose since he was a permanent user of the Swan Kwami he might have to go elsewhere to continue investigating things and doing his work.

Reaching forward he patted my hand that I had laying on the table, giving me a soft smile. "Forever, hopefully. For now though it'll have to be low key while I am working on this case," he stated and I nodded my head. That made a lot of sense. "Now, about Adrien..." He trailed off and I winced at that. "You guys have been using protection, right?" He continued and my eyes bugged out at the implication while the Kwami's gasped.

"DAD!" He laughed at my embarrassment, amusement showing on his face. "We haven't.... I haven't..." I stuttered, blushing furiously at the thought.

Though I wouldn't have this any other way. I was glad to have my father back in my life, even if it was under curious circumstances.