Chapter 28 - Bastet & Family Drama

Loud voices could be heard as I woke. A frown appeared on my face as I slipped on my house shoes - walking down the hallway towards the family living room.

If it could even be considered that.

"You have no right!" My mothers voice rose into high octaves, something she did when she was upset. My eyebrows furrowed at that. Normally she wasn't one to let her emotions get the better of her.

"I have every right, Julia!" A familiar voice growled in return, making my eyes widen. Serenity Swan? What the hell?

Mother scoffed in disdain, laughing a bitter laugh. "You left us, Antoine!" She growled. Biting my lip I peeked over the corner, watching as my mother had a stare down with a guy I didn't recognize. Stocky build, strawberry blond curly hair, and vivid emerald green eyes that seemed all too familiar to me.

My eye color and hair.

People had always told me that I looked more like my father. With my mothers contrasting brunette hair and blue eyes, no one would even know I was her daughter if it wasn't for the last name, and the fact that she is on my birth certificate.

"You know why I left," his voice was strained, as if he was reliving horrible memories. "Look Jewel, I'm sorry. I had to leave for your safety. But... you can't work with Agreste!" Now that name got my attention. I felt Gulla stir in my pajama pocket as the voices got louder - though I could tell that they were trying to keep it down. Thinking I was still asleep. "And if you have to, leave Charlotte out of it!" He snapped and it looked like he was trying to tone in his anger, not wanting to do anything rash.

Gulla peeked her head through the top of the pocket, eyes groggily blinking awake. "What's going on?" She wondered softly and I shushed her, not wanting them to know I was listening. This was a side of my mother that I rarely ever saw.

Silence fell among the two adults. Antoine sighed again, giving my mother a pained look. "Just... please, Julia..." he pleaded and my mother seemed to soften a little at that - much to my shock. "Just... allow me to be in her life. Don't you think she deserves to know who her father is, at least?" He asked in a small voice and my mouth fell open in shock.

Did he just say father?

My mother didn't respond right away, though a few tears fell from her eyes. Mother rarely ever showed emotion. This meant it was something big for her, something that she couldn't control. "I'm not sure, Antoine..." She trailed off shakily, out of breath.

Taking a deep breath of my own - careful not to be heard, I slipped away - back into my bedroom. "Are you okay, Charlotte?" Gulla asked quietly, concern in her small voice.

Breathing in deeply again I glanced over to the picture I have on my white dresser. It was a picture of simpler times, of a man and a woman - and a child in between them - smiling for the camera. The man in the living room did look like him, albeit he was older than in the picture.

Shakily I reached for the picture, Gulla hovering over me with a concerned look in her violet eyes. "I'll be okay..." I nodded to myself. If my suspicions were correct and he was Serenity Swan...

Well, who knew what was going to happen next in our crazy world.

————-

The gang was in our normal circle for lunch - minus Chloe, Sabrina and Zoe - who had been joining us as of late. I was sitting close to Adrien, who had one of his arms around me tightly as he ate his lunch with his other hand.

Alya had her thinking pose on when I got finished with what I saw that morning. "So, what you're telling me is that you have a secret home life!" She pointed a finger at me in her dramatic flare, Nino chuckling beside her fondly.