Chapter 26 - November 18, 2016

It took a decent amount of begging and a solid promise that I would babysit the following weekend so that Clint and Laura could go on a trip for their anniversary, but I finally convinced the archer to teach me how to use a bow and arrow.

Unfortunately it was a lot less exciting than I had expected. It turns out that exploding arrows were not for beginners.

"C'mon Barton, just one?" I begged, making a grab for the tipped arrow I knew blew shit up.

"Absolutely not. Nat already got on me for playing with trick arrows indoors" Clint said, moving the arrows out of my reach. I huffed and crossed my arms over my chest. "Don't throw a tantrum, I get enough of those at home."

"You're so lame" I grumbled, watching as the man collapsed his bow. "I really feel like this wasn't a fair exchange for me watching your children for an entire weekend."

"But you promised," Clint reminded me, a brow raised. I waved him off.

"I already told you I would babysit for free, I love kids."

He snickered, shaking his head. "Don't call me when you regret it."

I watched as he left the training room before leaving myself, navigating to my room.

"Ollie" Pietro started, appearing next to me.

"Yes?" I hummed, pushing the door to my room open. Pietro followed me in, looking up and down the hall before closing the door. I raised an eyebrow, questioning the actions of the Sokovian.

"I wanted to say thank you for yesterday."

"And that required you to check the hallway like this was a spy movie?" He shook his head, pulling me over to my bed. I frowned. "Pietro, I love you, I do, but as a friend, so please don't attempt to do anything. I should tell you now I don't swing that way."

Pietro blinked in confusion. "What do you mean 'Swing that way?'"

"It means I prefer people with a significant lack of an appendage between their legs" I tried, only receiving yet another confused look. I sighed. "I'm gay, Piet. I like girls. Romantically."

His face morphed into understanding. "Oh!" He seemed to go over what I had said before and his eyes widened as he shook his head. "No, I do not like you like that. I see you as a best friend."

I grimaced. "Even though I'm not into you like that, getting friendzoned always hurts. But anyway, why did you come in here like you stole the queen's crown jewels?"

"Something is wrong with Wanda."

I felt myself tense at the mention of the brunette who spent the previous night in my arms; the same one who had disappeared by the time I woke in the morning.

"Wanda? Why would I know anything about Wanda?" I squeaked, cursing internally as the pitch of my voice rose significantly. Thankfully, Pietro didn't seem to notice.

"You two seemed to be friends during our last movie night. She's acting strange. She locked herself in her room today."

I sighed in relief. "Well, Piet, yesterday was your parent's death-iversary, give her some time."

"How do you know about that?"

I froze, my eyes widening. Fuck.

"Did Wanda talk to you about it yesterday?"

"Maybe just a little bit, I brought her some Potica and she was having a hard time" I rasped, my throat seeming entirely too dry. Pietro's eyes narrowed, observing me closely.

"What happened yesterday? What did you do to my sister?" He asked lowly and I gulped.

"I didn't do anything, we just talked and then I came back here and then that was it." My voice broke in several places, the anxiety breaking through.

"Why wasn't she in her room last night?"

Fucked. I am absolutely and utterly fucked.

"I...I..." I tried to come up with the words to form a proper excuse but I fell short, my mouth wordlessly moving.

"Did you have sex with my sister?" Pietro screeched and I lunged, slamming my hand over his mouth.

"I did not have sex with your sister. She was having trouble sleeping so she came in here and we cuddled" I hissed, my eyes darting from him to the door, petrified that someone heard. Pietro pushed my hands off his mouth and he gaped at me.

"You like my sister."

The words swirled around me, the statement making my stomach churn in the same way it did when Pietro first asked me if I was dating the Wanda from my timeline; an uncomfortable and unwanted feeling.

"I don't like her. I mean I like her, just not like that" I stammered, trying to keep my mind centered.

Did I like cuddling with Wanda? Sure.

Did I find it adorable how her nose scrunches up when she smiles? Of course.

Did I catch myself thinking about her at times? Maybe.

But that didn't mean I liked her.

"Are you sure?" Pietro pressed, eyes unblinking as he watched me carefully.

"I'm sure. I don't like Wanda. I cuddle with you and I don't like you" I reasoned, although I wasn't sure if it was to convince him or myself.

"That is true" he conceded, nodding a little. "Well, maybe you could do it again. I am worried about her."

"It will never be happening again."

Pietro frowned, surveying me once more before giving up and turning towards the door. "Do you want to play a game?"

"Sure" I nodded, the tension in my body releasing a little now that the interrogation was over, though the thought never left my head.

I do not have a crush on Wanda.