Chapter 64 - January 6, 2017

"You're all healed and back to normal" Cho announced, stepping away from me and allowing me to drop my shirt from my grip.

I grinned, leaning forward on the cot-like bed. "Really? I can freely use my powers and I'm clear to go on missions now?" I asked, giddy excitement filling me as I pictured myself along the rest of the Avengers that had left early this morning on a mission.

Cho paused before nodding, gesturing towards the door. "You are and I must say I'm thankful. You've been one of the worst patients I think I've ever had." I laughed, sliding off the cot and waving as I exited the medical room for hopefully the last time for a while.

Nobody would return from the mission until probably late tonight, which left my options for celebration pretty bare. I suppose bothering Bucky would be a fun, especially since Steve had managed to get him cleared to move into a room, but on the other hand my conversations with him tended to take a depressing turn that called forth thoughts I didn't truly want to think about.

As I walked towards the main room, contemplating what to do a man with an eyepatch stepped out from behind a corner. "I'd like to discuss your future with the Avengers now that you're medically cleared."

I jumped a little, hand flying to my heart. "What the fuck, that was creepy. Is that like half your job? Just waiting in places so you can pop out of the shadows for a dramatic entrance? And how do you know I'm medically cleared, I just learned five minutes ago. You had to have been waiting here for a while so clearly you knew before me which means Cho was in on this and she's been holding me back just so you could put on this little show. Wait, isn't it illegal-"

"You done?" Nick interrupted, his face clearly unamused by my barrage of questions.

"I'd like Nick Fury to answer my very valid questions" I hummed, raising a brow. He ignored me, moving past my request and the fact that I knew who he was.

"I'm here to talk about your future with the Avengers. Since you won't be participating in missions-"

"Since I won't be participating in missions" I echoed, a scowl forming on my face as I recalled Wanda's proposition and how she had gone behind my back to ask Tony and Nick before me.

"I don't care what you do either way, as long as you aren't sitting on your ass, but this was a favor for Maximoff so if you have an issue, take it up with her" Nick deadpanned and I sighed, shaking my head.

"No, it's fine, what am I doing?"

"You are going to be in charge of the Avenger's public image and interactions, as well as the briefing and debriefing of missions. You'll report that information to Agent Coulson who, in turn, will report to me."

My brain spun as I took in the information, bouncing between two things I felt the need to comment on. In the end I decided to brush past the fact that Phil Coulson was alive since this was an alternate timeline. "You're telling me that I'm going to be an overpaid, higher class secretary?"

"Call it what you want, I don't give a rat's ass, just do it well. Agent Coulson will be in touch soon." With that he turned and walked away, leaving me in the hallway alone, my fists clenched angrily.

My frustration led me to the training room where I took it out on one of the punching bags hanging from the ceiling, vying for the same results Steve produced whenever he seemed pissed.

Unfortunately for me, I didn't have the strength of a super soldier, so the bag of sand remained hanging. Instead, I was the one that ended up on the floor, laying on my back and breathing heavily.

"Don't tell me you're so out of shape that you lost to the bag" an amused voice commented and I let my head fall to the side, catching sight of Nat leaning against the doorway.

"I was taking out my frustration on it and now I'm taking a break" I grunted, pushing myself to my feet. "Cho said I'm all healthy and fixed now."

"But?"

"But I'm banned from missions" I snapped, gathering all my force and slamming my fist against the hanging bag, the disappointing result being to send it swinging. I crumpled back onto the ground, my knees to my chest.

"I heard about that from Stark. I have to say, I'm surprised you agreed after you were so excited to go on the first one" Nat mused, walking over to where I sat and handing me a water bottle. I recalled the fact that she had been in favor of letting me go that day, deciding that she would be a good person to rant to about my current predicament.

"I didn't want to, like really didn't want to, but Wanda's had some shit happen to her and she's scared of losing me" I sighed, turning the chilly bottle in my hands.

Nat sat down in front of me. "We're all scared of losing someone here, that's the scary thing about being a family of heroes. I have a feeling that's not why you agreed though."

"You're too good at that" I mumbled, cracking open the lid and taking a long drink of water. I played with the words and realizations from my interaction with Wanda, unsure if I truly wanted to divulge them.

"You know whatever you say won't leave this room" Nat persuaded and I sighed heavily, nodding.

"She said that it was to keep me safe and that I wasn't strong enough to help on missions" I started, my eyes on the plastic bottle in my hands. "It's the same thing she said. The Wanda from my timeline. I was with her and Vision in Scotland when some weird ass aliens showed up looking for the mind stone. I ended up getting hurt before Natasha and the others showed up and when I tried to go with them, Wanda told me I was weak and I would only slow them down; that I couldn't keep following after her.

"Then, in Westview she told me that she thought ditching me in Scotland would keep me away from her and when I heard this Wanda say what she did it just all connected."

"She was trying to protect you" Nat concluded and I nodded, tearing up.

"I didn't have a choice in staying here but I made myself feel okay with it because I told myself that the Wanda from my timeline didn't need me. That she hated me and I was just a burden. But now..." My voice cracked, tears slipping down my cheeks. "I'm trying so hard to find reasons that I should be happy but I feel like I'm losing who I am and I don't know what to do anymore."

Nat pulled me into a hug and I let my tears fall, letting out all of the fears and insecurities that had been growing in me since I had set foot in this timeline.

"You're a part of our family now. If you need help finding yourself, you have us to help you."

I sniffled, nodding a little. She was right, I had a family here. I had everyone I had come to love with me here and I would find my place here.

I suppose I didn't have much of a choice anyway, I was here for better or worse.