Chapter 49 - December 19, 2016

I hummed to myself as I packed a bag, mentally checking off the items I would need.

"You're packing a lot for a mission" Pietro commented from his place on my bed and I groan, turning to face him.

"Well then help me" I whined, gesturing to the bag. His nose scrunched in disgust and he shook his head. Yelena sighed loudly, shaking her head and moving from her place next to Pietro.

"Alright, how long will you be gone?"

"Steve said it shouldn't take more than a couple days" I informed her, pursing my lips at the overstuffed bag that had enough clothes for the next week.

"Why would you need a bathing suit" Yelena deadpanned, pulling my suit out of the bag.

"Well what if we decide to go for a swim!" I protested, watching as she threw it to the floor before completely dumping out the bag and skillfully putting things in.

"You need two pairs of clothes. That's it. Even if the mission goes longer you can always rewear the same outfits as long as you have underwear."

I hummed, watching her. "I'm learning so much."

She zipped up my now pathetic looking bag and handed it over and I nodded, taking it from her and thanking her for the help.

"Do you want one of my sweatshirts?" Pietro asked and I scoffed, digging through the pile of things Yelena had dumped on the floor.

"First of all, I already have like four. Second, I now steal the clothes of another hot Sokovian."

"Where is she?" Pietro asked, deciding to forgo complaining about the fact that he was short a number of sweatshirts. It was for the better. I was starting a collection of clothes stolen from many of the Avengers including shirts from Steve and Tony as well as a sweatshirt from Nat.

Basically whatever was in the laundry at any given time was up for grabs in my books.

"She's still mad at me for going" I hummed, although a frown quickly settled itself on my face. "I didn't think she would completely ice me out and not say goodbye though."

"Ollie, Mr. Rogers and Mr. Wilson are ready to leave by the quinjet" JARVIS informed me and I held a thumbs up to the ceiling, earning a look from the two in my room with me.

"He's a person back in my timeline. Sort of. More like a personified toaster."

"Didn't that Wanda end up with your 'toaster'" Pietro asked teasingly and I flipped him off.

"Maybe, but who's winning now. I have an amazing girlfriend who didn't inadvertently cause the death of my brother and the toaster is still in the ceiling" I said triumphantly, my heart clenching a little at the casual mention of my brother. Yelena shook her head, clearly over my bullshit as she saluted and left the room. "Well bye to you too" I shouted after her, hearing a faint goodbye yelled back.

"Alright, I suppose I'm off." I told Pietro, although I unzipped my bag and stuffed three different sweatshirts in now that I was free of Yelena's management. Pietro chuckled, shaking his head at my actions.

I headed through the compound, keeping my eyes out for Wanda, disappointment coursing through me when I didn't see her anywhere.

"You ready Ollie?" Steve asked and I nodded, looking around for Sam. "He's already on the jet."

"Ah." I handed the man my bag, starting for the door when a pair of arms wrapped around my waist.

"Please be safe" Wanda said softly and I turned, pulling her into me.

"I will, okay? Nothing is going to happen to me. It'll just be fast and I'm going to back by Christmas to give you my super awesome present" I said, kissing the top of her head.

"I still don't think you should go" she murmured and I sighed, pushing off the hurt at her distrust in my abilities.

"I'm going, Wanda. Steve, Nat and I all think I'm ready" I said, a little sharper than I meant. I really hadn't planned to leave while we were on bad terms but all I wanted was a little faith.

"It's not that I don't trust you, it's just I don't want you to get hurt" Wanda muttered, not meeting my eyes.

"The whole point of training is so I can go on missions. I can't just sit around and watch movies for the rest of my life."

Wanda frowned, not saying anything else and I sighed, beginning to back away, a mischievous smirk growing on my face. "Listen, I know I'll be safe but I'm about to leave and on the off chance that I die a horrible death you'll feel really bad that you didn't tell me bye."

The brunette's eyes shot to me and she scowled but flicked her wrist, her magic jerking me back to her. "Promise me you'll come back?"

I grinned, holding out my pinky. "I'll do you one better; I promise that I'll be back by Christmas."

She shook her head, a smile breaking out onto her face despite her sour mood. "I'll be mad if you aren't."

"Understood" I laughed, capturing her lips with mine quickly before sprinting off to the jet and clambering on. Steve nodded once he saw me get on before moving to the front. I made my way to the seats, catching sight of Sam. "Oh hey, I haven't seen you since day one."

"Oh yeah, you're the girl who lives in other timeline" Sam recognized and I frowned, not liking the way my heart faltered a little.

"I live here, actually" I corrected the man.

"You aren't going home?"

"This is my home now. There's no way to get back to my timeline" I said, my voice far more forceful than I desired.

"Oh, damn. Sorry about that. I can't imagine not being able to see the people I love again, but I guess-"

"You know, I don't know much about you" I interrupted, wanting to be rid of both the feeling swarming me and the topic. "I feel like I should if you are going to be out here together."

Sam blinked, smiling widely. "Well, what do you want to know?"

I felt my shoulders relax a bit at the acceptance of the new topic. "Anything you want to tell."

He grinned, leaning back in his seat. "Well, I grew up in Louisiana..."