1

Must?!" The petite seventeen year old glared blackly at the St Mungo's healer. "I must do nothing, Dr Bryant. There's, I ought to, I should and it might be better, but I can safely say that I've had quite enough of doing things simply because I must do them."

The middle aged wizard breathed in deeply and fiddled with one of the handles on his glasses nervously. "Miss Potter, please, I do not speak this way for my own amusement. Your health is precarious at best. The horcrux that was inside of you literally ripped your magical core to pieces when it was forcibly removed. It had seventeen years to burrow its way through every one of your established magical channels! That you're alive right now is, honestly...a miracle." He shrugged hopelessly.

The girl-who-lived turned away from the man to stare out her hospital window. There were crowds of people camped outside the hospital, the sheer number of well wishers ought to have filled Rei with warmth but all she could feel was this unyielding sense of panic and stress.

She rubbed her chest with a closed fist, "That's why I feel like this?" She whispered. "Like I've been torn in two, like I've lost something of myself that I'll never get back?" Rei turned to face the sympathetic wizard with a desperate air. "I feel like I'm drowning, Dr Bryant. Like I've lost whatever was keeping me afloat and I'm sinking. Do you know what that feels like?" She stepped forward. "The adrenaline won't stop racing through my body, it won't give me a moment's peace. It's like my entire body is wound like a coil on the precipice of something that never comes."

He gazed at her with sad grey eyes.

"I can't live like this," She whispered hoarsely, "It's only been three days and I feel like I'm going insane from feeling all of these conflicting emotions and instincts."

A soft knock at the door disturbed the tense silence in the room. Dr Bryant cleared his throat uncomfortably before striding to the door and poking his head outside.

"Your friends are wondering if you're up for a visit?" He asked gently.

She didn't need to ask who it was. They hadn't left the hospital floor for a single moment since she'd been admitted two days ago for tests.

She nodded silently.

Eyes on the crowd outside, Rei did nothing when a slim pair of arms suddenly wrapped tightly around her shoulders and squeezed.

"How is it today?" Hermione asked softly into her ear. "Is it any better?"

The hopeful tone from her female friend had Rei's emerald eyes fluttering closed in exhaustion. "...What do you want me to say, Mione?" She murmured.

She could literally feel the way Ron's worried frustration rose in reaction to her comment and Rei cringed in Hermione's arms.

"Ron!" The bushy haired witch reprimanded her boyfriend with a frantic undertone to her voice.

Ron was a very passionate person. He felt the full spectrum of emotions with every ounce of feeling he had, she'd always known that. But it wasn't until three days ago, when she'd woken up unable to stand being in the same house as her best friend that Rei appreciated exactly how much Ron's magic was affected by his emotions.

The horcrux's removal had destroyed her. Her magical core damaged beyond belief had gone through such a trauma that, as the healer had already said, she was truly lucky to still be alive. Her core was like one big raw nerve that felt everything, magnified a hundredfold and it felt it through pain.

They hadn't known what was wrong with her at first. Hadn't known what to do. Too lost in a migraine to even talk, Ginny had side-along apparated her to St Mungo's. All she remembered after that first feeling of displaced air is the pain. A burning, excruciating agony that had Rei Potter, the girl that suffered the Dark Lord's crucio in silence, screaming her throat raw as she sobbed against the hospital's tiled lobby.