10

Caroline tried to avoid Stefan's eyes as best she could as she put the finishing touches on her make-up.

"Do you really think that's safe?" He asked her gently, a reproachful look in his eyes.

"It's out of the way, what else can he do?" She said a little more sharply than necessary. Seeing Stefan's surprised look in the mirror, she cringed. "Tyler's doing the best he can. He thinks that the old Lockwood property is…the best," She finished quietly, feeling horrible for lying.

But Rei had only had one condition for helping, and that was their silence, she couldn't go back on her word. She just couldn't. The black haired girl had already done so much to help and she'd seen how much it meant to Tyler. He was still freaked about tonight's full moon but he had a plan, one that he believed in. And that was all because of Rei Potter.

"Fine, but you can't stay with him for the whole transformation," Stefan ordered.

Caroline's lips tightened at the demand and she suddenly swivelled around on her vanity seat to look at him straight on, "Does Damon know about this?"

"Yes," He looked at her pointedly, "Be thankful that I convinced him that I should be the one to talk to you, Caroline."

She glared at him hotly, hating that he'd throw her dislike and fear of Damon's company in her face like that. He didn't know what it was like, no one did. Waking up in the hospital, flashes of memories coming back to her of being bitten, fed on, ordered around by the raven haired vampire…even in bed. She abruptly stood up, pushing the horrible memories back into the recesses of her mind, striding towards her closet.

"I'm not leaving him, Stefan," Caroline stated flatly, she wouldn't be moved on this.

The younger Salvatore brother uncrossed his arms with a sigh of exasperation that she endeavoured to ignore. He didn't understand. Rei had set up the whole thing so that she could be with Tyler until the very last moment before retreating to the small, original sitting area to wait for him to change back.

"He could kill you, Caroline." Stefan's wasn't yelling but his voice was deeper than normal, like he was trying to control his temper. "One bite, that's all it takes."

She swung the scarf around her neck, "We don't know that for sure though, do we?" She challenged, looking at him. "That's just a rumour."

"Those types of rumours aren't normally based on nothing," He breathed out, pushing a hand through his hair. "Just be careful, alright?"

Caroline turned around, grabbing her bag. "I always am," She smiled sunnily. "Where are you headed?" She asked as they walked out of the house and towards her car.

"I'm going to go talk to Katherine," She looked at him sharply at those words. "If what she told Elena is the truth she's been running from Klaus for centuries, she might be able to find him." Stefan explained.

"Does Elena know what you're planning to do today?" Even as she asked she already knew that her friend didn't. There was no way that Elena would let Stefan within three hundred feet of her ancestor if she could help it.

Caroline glanced at the vampire beside her in silent thought. It seemed strange to think that the cold, calculating vampire that had killed her was in love with her friend's boyfriend. She'd told them all so many lies that they'd all learned to take what she had to say with a grain of salt, but still, she wondered if perhaps her love for the younger Salvatore brother was, in fact, true.

"No," Stefan stated shortly, "And I'd prefer it if you didn't tell her in any case."

Blue eyes rolled, Caroline couldn't help it. She'd never kept so many different secrets from so many people at once before, it was exhausting.