12

Jules waited for the front door to open, anticipation thrumming through her.

Tyler had insisted on meeting with his little blonde vampire, he wanted to confirm what she'd told him about Mason's death and the Salvatores for himself. His hesitation to trust her was understandable, but still, he wouldn't actually believe a bloodsucker's word over her own, would he?

She glanced behind her, scanning the trees for any signs of disturbance. They'd know by now. They would know that Tyler was no longer in the dark, and they'd have to make a move. She just hoped Brady and the others got here before they did. She couldn't protect them against three vampires by herself.

The door in front of her creaked open, Tyler's apprehensive figure motioning her inside while his eyes flicked to the stairs at his back, no doubt making sure his Mother hadn't heard anything. Wasting no time, Jules slipped quickly inside, feeling far safer within the mansion's defensible walls than with the open grounds of the Lockwood estate at her back.

As soon as he'd shut the doors of the room, preventing their conversation from travelling, Jules couldn't hold the question in any longer.

"I was right, wasn't I?" He shifted in his seat, avoiding her eyes. "Your little vampire friend and the others killed Mason."

"It wasn't Caroline-"

"She's been lying to you, Tyler!" She leaned forward, frowning. "They murdered him because of what he was, what we are." She was pleading with him to understand. The vampires were not his friends. "Do you see why you can't stay here? It's not safe anymore."

Tyler's eyes widened, shock dominant in his brown, black orbs. "I can't just pick up and leave! I'm all that my mum has left! I have a life here-"

"Had a life here," She corrected him, her voice firm. "I want to help you, Tyler. I want to teach you how to live with the curse, how to survive. As a Lycanthrope, it is both my duty and honour to help you. Please, let me."

But all he did was shake his head, and she felt her hope plummet.

"I'm alright," He tried to convince her, staring her straight in the eye. "Yes, I was freaked out, I still am, but I've had help. I made it through my first full moon and I," He shrugged. "I think I can do this."

Jules sat back, her face hardening. "You had a vampire helping you, Tyler," She reminded him harshly. "You couldn't be further from having a handle on your transformation. You need to learn what it means to be what we are, you haven't anyone to teach you-!"

"But I do!" He cut her off, abruptly standing up from the couch.

Jules felt fury rise in her and she lifted herself from the seat slowly, "Who? Your little vampire?" She glared at him hotly. "She killed Mason!"

Tyler spun around, "Caroline didn't-!" He stopped himself, running an aggravated hand through his hair. "Anyway, I wasn't talking about her. There's someone else, a human, she knew a werewolf and she's been helping me. Answering my questions."

Alarm shot through her and she stepped forward, her first thought that he must have run across a hunter, but that couldn't be. A hunter would have killed him at the first opportunity.

"Who?" She demanded. "Who is it Tyler?"

He frowned at her, a stubborn light in his eyes that she recognised instantly. Mason used to look at her the exact same way whenever she would order him to break up with his vampire girlfriend, Kathy.

"Why do you want to know? I told you, she's human." He declared, his mouth thinning.

Jules closed her eyes, knowing that she'd need to take a different approach.