20

The power of a hundred dead witches, even the thought of that much magic waiting to be harnessed at the site of their massacre was daunting. She'd known that Klaus was strong. The stories and fear that his name conjured in others made that fact all too clear. But the power of one hundred dead witches? Somehow, she'd thought that that would have been more than enough to bring down anything. But if Jonas' memories were to be believed, it would be barely enough power to kill him.

It was big news. She should have been racing to tell Elena, everyone, but the only thing that was racing through her mind was Rei.

A wand-weilder. She'd never even heard about them. There was another species of magic-users? Her kind wasn't the only one?!

Slamming on the breaks, Bonnie reached over to unlock her seat-beat, pushing the car door open at the same time. She was out of the vehicle and running across the white pebbled courtyard a second later.

"Rei!" She couldn't even wait until she reached the front door to call out, taking the patio stone steps two at a time. "Rei!" She screamed loudly, skidding to a stop at the door she used her fist to pound unceasingly against the wood. "Rei!"

The door suddenly swung inward revealing a sleepy looking English girl wearing shorts and a baggy t-shirt, blinking out at her.

"Bonnie?" Rei croaked, squinting. "Do you have any idea what time it-" Without waiting for her to finish, Bonnie pushed past the arm she was using to hold the door open and stormed inside.

She spun around, her eyes wild. "You! You have magic, don't you?!" Bonnie growled lowly.

Like a switch had suddenly been flipped, all traces of tiredness were wiped from the young woman's elfin features. Emerald eyes sharpened, a calculating gleam sparking to life within the abruptly alert orbs.

"Well," The lightly accented voice was crisp, calm. "This is unexpected."

Bonnie felt her jaw drop. "That's it?" She breathed. "You're not going to deny it, demand to know how I know? Nothing?!"

Rei tilted her neck slightly, her eyes narrowing.

Without warning, the black-haired girl lifted a socked foot off the ground and kicked backwards, shutting the door with a loud slam.

"Fine." She stated strongly, taking a step towards her. "All I really want to know is, did you tell anyone?"

Bonnie couldn't help it, she laughed. Raising her hands to her face, she buried her head in her palms, trying desperately to make sense of a situation that didn't even feel real at this point.

She heard Rei sigh heavily before a soft hand touched her elbow, dragging her down the corridor.

"I'm thinking tea sounds really good at this point," The English girl exhaled.

...

Elena dropped her arm uselessly to her side as Bonnie, ignoring her invitations to stay the night, slammed the front-door behind her as she left.

Hearing footsteps, she turned around to see Stefan and Katherine trudging down the stairs. Her ancestor licking the last drop of blood from the corner of her lips with a smug smirk.

"Everything taken care of?" Damon asked his brother from beside her.

Her boyfriend nodded, his face solemn.

"I'm guessing you're going to want this back," Katherine pulled the vervain necklace from her neck and held it out to her. "Though your cute little outfit's going to need a good dry-clean." She smirked cheekily.

Gritted her teeth against the anger rising up in her, Elena strode forward, ripping the necklace out of her grasp.

Deliberately ignoring the vampire, she spoke directly to Stefan. "You'll need to get her out of here before Jenna comes home." He nodded.