53. The Benefactor

Beacon Hills Memorial Hospital

You and Derek are in one of the oncall rooms that Melissa had unlocked for the two of you.

"Stay still" He instructed, picking up a needle and a thread.

"Derek, I'll heal. I don't need stitching up" You sat down on the bed.

"I know but the nurse outside doesn't. We have to be careful. The Calavera's might come after Scott now he's bitten an innocent" Derek begins to thread the stitches through your bite wound.

"And the mouthless axe murderer might come after us now he knows we're supernatural" You gritted your teeth.

"Exactly. Having a chunk bitten out of your flesh and then it miraculously healing might arouse some suspicion" He rested a hand on your shoulder.

"I guess, you're right. Did you find out what Sean was ?" You enquired.

"Yeah, he was a Wendigo, a cannibalistic shapeshifter who lives off human flesh" He informed you.

"Typical Beacon Hills being a dangerous supernatural magnet ... Was that all of them ? Sean and his family" You examined his work as he placed down the needle.

"I think so. Wendigo's are rare. They're the holy grail of the supernatural world. I haven't seen one before" He hands you your jacket.

"Okay. I'll do some research, see what I can find out" You put your leather jacket back on, pretending to grimace in pain when the nurse opens the door to check in.

"Did he stitch you up alright or do you need me to have a look ?" He offered.

"No, thank you, he did a good job. Can we have one more minute ?" You shook your head.

"Sure, I don't see why not" He closed the door as he left.

"I'm gonna head to the roof, the Sheriff wants me to have a look at the body. Text if you find something" Derek exits the room, you wait a few seconds before leaving after him.

Beacon Hills Highschool

"These are your math notes ?" You scan the screen that's at an angle so you can read it.

"No wonder Malia's failing ..." Kira tried and failed to figure out what was on the screen before her.

"Um, some of them are my notes. The rest, I think might actually be a code ..." She looked through the pages.

"But you don't remember writing it ?" Kira questioned.

"Not in the slightest. But, considering my drawing of a tree led us to the Nemeton, I should probably figure out what it means before it tries to kill us" She sighed, picking up her pencil.

"Maybe it's like the Enigma code the Allies used ? Remember, my dad was a World War II buff ? And my mom was, well ... in it" Kira suggested an idea.

"I think it's a variation on something called the Vigènere Cipher" Lydia looks to you for confirmation, you nod.

"Yeah, in that case, I'll help. Send me a photo and I'll see what I can decipher. I have alot of research to do, might aswell add that to the list" You offered.

"Research ?" Lydia enquired.

"Yeah -- I need to look at Wendigo's for Derek. Find something to help us with your Banshee preminisons and research the Vigènere Cipher code, apparently" You take out your textbook.

"Do you know how to crack it ?" Kira steered the conversation back to the matter at hand.

"With a key ..." Lydia raises her gaze, a set of keys dangling infront of her face.