Chapter 39: Narrowing The Field Sudden Death Elimination.

"And that is a preliminary to the third exam, with proptiation in the main battle on the line." Hate said which surprised us.

"Preliminary?" I wondered, tilting my head to the side.

"What do you mean... preliminary?!" Shikamaru exclaimed, furiously.

"Sensei, I don't understand the point of that preliminary. Why aren't we doing the next exam with the remaining test-takers?" Sakura asked from behind me.

"This time around, perhaps because the first and second exams were easy, there are a few too many people left, you see. In accordance with the rules of the Chūnin Exams, a preliminary will be held in order to reduce the number advancing." Hate explain to Sakura, shocking her.

"N-No way!" She exclaimed.

"As Lord Hokage said before, many guests will be coming to the third exam. So we can't have long pointless matches and our time is limited as well. Therefore, those of you not in top physical condition..." Hate stop to cough. "Excuse me. Those of you who wish to drop out, please speak up now. The preliminary will begin immediately, so..."

Immediately, you say

Immediately, you say...?!" Kiba proclaimed.

"But we finally made it through the second exam." Ino said disappointed.

"This is a pain..." Shikamaru sighed.

"Huh? What about our meal?" Choji asked.

"It does make sense, in some way." I mumble to myself while caress my cheek.

"And oh... I forget to mention this, but it will be individual battles from now on. It is your decision, so feel free to raise your hands and drop out." Hayate said.

Suddenly Sasuke groan as he hold shoulder.

"Sasuke?!" Sakura whispered.

"Are you okay?" I whispered, worried.

"Sasuke, you should quit these preliminaries!" Sakura told him, shocking me as I looked at her with widen open eyes. "L-Look, you haven't been yourself ever since you got worked over by that Orochimaru guy! That bruise hurts even now, right...? At this rate...!"