46

“ It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” - J.K. Rowling

•••

Kouvoh tormented together with Kharryl who cried her heart out in his arms. He don’t know what to do other than hugging her tightly and comforting her with his touch.

“I failed again, Kouvoh. I failed again as a mother. I’m sorry...” Kharryl said in between her cries.

Kouvoh hated her words, “You did not. Stop saying that please...” he controlled his tone, not wanting to make her feel bad even more.

“He needs me yet I chose to leave. I’m such a bad mother...” she murmured as she clutch his shirt.

Kouvoh groaned at her statement, he distanced himself a little and cage her face inside his palms. “Look at me, binibini...” he command.

She did, he met her teary eyes. Kouvoh felt himself softened under her gaze. He shed her tears away from her face. “You are not a bad mother. You did not fail. You never did.” Kouvoh said. “You will only fail once you give up.” he paused, “Are you giving up?” Kouvoh asked.

Kharryl immediately shook her head, “No, never.” she emphasize.

Kouvoh slightly smiles, “That’s my woman...” he remarked.

Kharryl did not reply, instead, she turned her head back to where she caught her last glimpse of South after he walked away.

•••

Night came and South never came out from his room.

“Its dinner time,” Kouvoh served the dish he made on the round table. The mouthwatering smell of the dish got stuck in Kharryl’s nostril. She silently prayed  for her stomach not to grumble. She had enough of embarrassing moment today.

Kouvoh took off the apron before he turned to her, “call South for me, yes?” Kouvoh asked.

Kharryl immediately bat her eyelashes multiple times, knocking her senses back. “Okay...” she briefly replied before she marched away. Good thing Kouvoh toured her around earlier or else she don’t know where to go.

She stood before the door, just staring at it for a moment. Kharryl sighed as she settled to knock. However, the door opened before she could make a move. She dropped her gaze lower to meet South’s gaze. She still couldn’t read anything in his eyes.

“Good evening, the dinner is ready.” Kharryl said.

“I’m not hungry...” South remarked.

Kharryl slightly smiled, disregarding the fact that he broke her heart. “You don’t have to be. Come on, join us.” Kharryl persisted.

And to Kharryl’s delight, he did not argue with her. Without a word, he leads the way back to the dining area. Kharryl followed, still smiling while looking at her son.

•••

Kouvoh’s eyes immediately darted on the entrance of the dining area when he heard footsteps.