26| Chérie

2 6

C h é r i e 

(n.) sweetheart.

✼✼✼

You are my sun, my moon, and all of my stars.

– E.E. Cummings

✼✼✼

i am updating somewhat regularly again - it's progress and i am proud of myself.

if you aren't aware, i post book edits about belle and adam (with the rest) on my tiktok and instagram! you can follow my tiktok /nadia__writes and my instagram /nadias_writing!

without further ado, enjoy this chapter!

✼✼✼

Julian wasn't surprised when Adam bailed on them again.

It was the third time in a row this week, and even though Julian didn't think much of it, Reece was the complete opposite. It was clear throughout their entire game of Snakes and Ladders, and no matter how much Reece grinned whenever he and Rose-Mary won a round, the uneasiness lingered in his eyes, his jaw.

He couldn't blame him completely.

Before, Julian thought that perhaps Adam needed some space – he wasn't so sure about that anymore. It was lovely the Calliope and Ella were new additions to their company, but it was still weird getting used to not seeing Adam around, not hearing his horrid jokes and corny laugh.

Julian missed Adam.

It was that simple. But Julian – for once in their entire friendship – had no idea what to do. It seemed as though Adam was truly going through something more than his mother, and that he was wholeheartedly going to tell them – the question was just when?

After Reece and Ella finished tucking the children to bed, Alexander and Julian busied themselves in cleaning up the living room. Calliope threw away all the cracker and candy wrappings. Reece flashed the girls a charming grin. "Alright ladies, no uBer tonight because I'm driving you home."

Ella had the smallest of smiles on her. "No need for that Reece," she said, settling herself down on the sofa. "We aren't leaving early tonight."

Reece was unfazed for two seconds before he furrowed his eyebrows. He then grinned once more. "Didn't get enough of me yet, Ella?"

Ella pursed her lips. "I wasn't aware that starving artists were delusional."

Reece's grin was cheeky. "Delusion inspires creativity, darling."

Ella rolled her eyes, and ignored his comment. "Calliope and I have come to a mutual agreement that we are meeting your parents today, Reece."

Reece didn't even bother to hide his stunned expression. His eyes were weighed down in disagreement. "My parents don't come until two in the morning, Ella." There was no playfulness in is voice anymore. His tone was stern, with no room of discussing. "You're not staying that late."

Ella wasn't fazed by his change in voice. "This isn't up for negotiation Reece," she said coolly, shrugging. "It is only fair that we meet the parents of the house we have stayed in almost daily for two weeks now."