18| Apricity

1 8

A p r i c i t y 

(n.) the warmth of the sun in winter.

✼✼✼

All my better days,

are the ones,

spent with you.

– Perry Poetry

✼✼✼

yeah so im back, and i'm so sorry for taking this long to update. 

more of that in the a/n, but for now, enjoy my loves,

xoxo

✼✼✼

Cogan's fingers trembled every time Adam asked for a tour of the mansion.

It was probably out of habit – Cogan had enough jitters and shakes to last Adam a lifetime – but Adam noticed his shivering to become significantly severe whenever they would come down the conjoined staircase.

"Alright then Monsieur," Cogan said, his lips curving into a nervous smile. "Back to your room now – we wouldn't want to be late for school tomorrow."

Adam groaned, pinching the bridge of his nose. He completely forgot that he was going to school tomorrow, which means he had less than twenty-four hours to come up with a genius plan as to why he was gone, and he had to see Evangeline. Her texts to him were relentless, and if Adam thought that was bad, her phone calls were even worse. Adam obviously didn't answer, but that didn't stop Evangeline from leaving him a voice mail, and Adam did hear snippets of it before he deleted them – Adam, mon cherie, please answer, I'm so worried my darling – and just read her texts.

"Alright Cogan," Adam said, giving him a small smile. "Good night."

"Good night Monsieur," Cogan said, giving Adam a small bow. No matter how many times Adam told Cogan it was alright to be informal with him, Cogan insisted on treating Adam like a valued guest. "I'll see you tomorrow morning."

"See you tomorrow morning," Adam said, already entering his room and flashing Cogan one last smile. "Good night."

✼✼✼

Reece's knees were jittering up and down, making Rose-Mary bounce in his lap as they watched Toy Story 2, and even Alexander seemed to notice, giving Julian a questioning look.

Ross was right beside Julian, munching on his popcorn as Julian glanced at Reece every now and then, also noticing how Reece's shoulders were tight and his palms were clenched. Alexander was on the floor, right beneath Rose-Mary's feet, and Julian noticed how Alexander would take small peeks at Reece too.

It wasn't unusual per se – Reece was the mother hen of them all, of course he was going to get jittery about the fact that Adam was finally coming to school tomorrow – but Julian just couldn't understand why Reece seemed almost nervous.

There was nothing to worry about – Adam missed four days of school, and he would make up for them no problem – but Reece was making it seem as though Adam was absent for an entire semester. Even Julian smiled when Reece showed all of them the text Adam sent him – Coming tomorrow, so I hope you guys took down notes for bio, because if not, I'm failing – and Alexander seemed pleased too, but Reece hasn't stopped fretting since.