28. The blossoming of a Relationship and the Teasing joys

The family enjoyed the evening completely. It was like watching your past like your favourite afternoon tv show, the memories of your childhood, the time you cherished the most. For Mahi the best part was seeing Rishabh's baby pictures, how he wished he could cuddle with his tiny head, missing Rishabh's childhood would always be his one biggest  regret. He ruffled Rishabh's hair, who was lying with his head in his lap.

"Bhaiya I missed you sooo much" Rishabh cooed, wrapping his arms around Mahi's waist. Mahi looked at him tenderly, none of them deserved what happened, him and Virat deserved to live their childhood with their mother and their little brother. Rishabh deserved to spend his childhood with his siblings, to get pampered by them endlessly, to play with them to his heart's content.

"Aur mujhe? " Virat's voice came, he could never take people talking emotionally, except when it was himself.

"Jalkukde mat bano aap. Tv pe dikh jaate the aap toh" Rishabh replied back, earning a whack from Virat. He subdued a little more into Mahi's embrace, "dekho bhaiya, kitna maarte hain bachche ko ye"

Virat whacked him once more, "ye bata kab se dekhne laga hai tu mereko? 2 saal pahle hi debut kiya maine. Kitna bachcha tha tu tab? "

Rishabh got up to face Virat, "isse pahle aapne under 19 bhi khela hai aapne, wo bhi dekha hai maine. Aapne Ranji trophy aur vijay hazare khela hai wo bhi dekha hai maine. Aur aapke under 16 matches bhi follow kiye hain, wo tv pe nahi aate the par I've followed. I've been following you since eternity and to be honest I never felt too distant from you. I've watched your every interview, formal,informal everything. I've read each and every news article mentioning you, I've thousands of your edits stocked in my laptop. I've stalked you more than your fangirls ever will, don't you ever question my devotion"

Rishabh snapped and Virat looked at him tongue-tied. He had never thought that a kid would be following him in new york when he was playing just mere domestic games. He felt touched and at the same time very hurtful that he had no idea of his existence. MS gently pulled him down, putting his head back in his lap after setting his hair right.

"Don't look at me like this, it's giving creepy vibes" Rishabh uttered, rubbing his sore arm.

Virat ignored his urge to whack him again, he instead asked, "kab se janta hai tu hamare baare mein? When did you get to know about our existence? " His voice came in a whisper, he had got an idea but he wanted to hear it from Rishabh.

"Hamesha se" Rishabh replied, "jab se mereko yaad hai cheeze tab se" Virat looked at Meera for explanation, Meera just smiled in return.

"This album has been with him since childhood, so this meant a lot more than just your pictures. Before you got fame Mahi and before Virat got into cricket scene, this was the only way to connect to you two. Even after that this is our solace, something that is very close to my heart" Meera told, her voice getting heavy at the end. Sakshi put her arm around her shoulder, putting her head on another one.

"What did we ever do to deserve you mumma? " Sakshi spoke, her voice resonating the feelings of all of them.

"Everything" Meera replied, "Mahi and Virat deserved to have a mother while growing up, I couldn't be one"

"Mumma NO" MS spoke in urgency, "Don't go there"

Meera shook her head,  "I wish this all could be reversed, I don't even know how you made peace with everything Mahi. I would have never forgiven myself if I were you" . Meera wanted to clear it once for all, guilt and regret were killing her from inside. Her own condition was bad enough but when she thought from their pov, it felt heart-wrenching, Mahi didn't have a parent figure after her, he had been just 16, virat was a literal child.