37. The Sequelae of Jealousy

MS was appalled to hear that Rishabh was not participating in his school cricket. As far as he knew, he loved his school team more than the club team and he genuinely loved playing from that team. What happened then? He had to talk to him and find out.

MS made his way to Rishabh's room as soon as he reached home. He hoped he was there. Rishabh was sitting there, digging his eyes into a book, which looked like mathematics. MS called him out, Rishabh looked back at him once and then went back to his book. He was missing Mahi bhai when he went, but now that he came back he remembered how he had gone without even telling him and how he didn't even talk to him when he called. Now he too was in no mood to talk to MS.

"Rishabh look at me" MS called out again. His tone was sharper this time. And this forced Rishabh to oblige. He turned back and frowned at MS.

MS tried to calm himself down. He had to talk to the boy, he didn't want to lash out at him again. Especially when he knew that they hadnt had any real conversation after that fiasco. "Rishabh can we talk bachcha? " He tried in a gentler tone.

"Kuchh jaruri kaam tha bhaiya? I was studying actually" Rishabh uttered. MS looked at his table, maths book was kept open, he didn't have a pen in hand and he was studying, sure he would believe him.

"Haan, it's something really important" MS stressed. Rishabh looked at him incredulously, so his studying excuse didn't work? He turned the chair and sat facing MS, "I cannot do what you are asking bhaiya. Anything but that. Agar aapko wahi baat karni hai toh bas thats it. Mujhe koi problem nahi hai suspension se, I can handle that just fine"

MS grabbed another chair and sat in front of him, "School mein kyun mana kar diya tune cricket khelne se? " He came straight to the point. He knew Rishabh won't listen to him for long, the kid looked miffed.

Rishabh looked down for a second, this was not what he was planning to talk about to anyone. And certainly not MS. He was just upset and cricket made him even more. No matter how much he pretended that suspension didn't affect him, it did, more than anyone knew.

"I don't want to play, man nahi hai bas" Rishabh replied when he saw MS looking for an answer.

"Aur kyun man nahi hai? " MS asked. Rishabh frowned visibly, how did this question even make sense?

"Nahi hai man. Isn't that reason enough? " Rishabh asked in a resigned voice.

MS sighed. This was just going downhill. He inhaled a deep breath and smiled at Rishabh, "Achha thik hai nahi baat karenge iss baare mein" MS spoke, "Phir toh baat karega na? Boht naaraz hai bhaiya se? "

Rishabh turned back to his book. He wanted MS to grovel and pamper him but didn't want to say it out loud. It had been a couple of days since he talked to his bhaiya and he missed him dearly. That was the longest he had stayed without talking to him since they met.

MS settled on the chair besides Rishabh and made him look at him. "I'm sorry I didn't pick your call. I was busy bachcha. I know it doesn't cut that but.. "

"You saw my call? " Rishabh asked. MS nodded. "Whatever, mujhe abhi aapse baat nahi karni. I'm busy, I'm studying" Rishabh uttered.

"You called me, means you were ready to talk. Right? Ab kyun nahi karni? " MS asked. Rishabh turned his face away.

"Rishu" MS called, "You have to talk bachcha. How will we sort it out if we do not talk to each other? "

"What is there to sort out bhaiya? " Rishabh asked in an exasperated voice.