Chapter 59: Hendrix and Jimmy

I stared at the dryad's unblinking brown eyes. My throat went dry. "With the Minister of Darkness sealed, demons have as much influence in this realm as angels. Why should I fear them?"

Cenderion shook his head. "Vania has currently been spared by the darkness growing in Alturess, but that is only a matter of time. The seal on the Minister is weakening. Hosts of angels and demons are constantly at war, and the casualties are mounting. Demons are winning," he said with a heavy air.

This was the first I had ever heard about this. The battle between angels and demons was constant, but muted. It had the same weight as when you were deciding between right and wrong. There was never a risk to the after realm. At least that's what I thought.

"Why has there been no sign of this in Vania? How can such an important threat go unnoticed if what you say is true? Alturess has all the angelic forces including the unicorns and elves. Vania should have seen this corruption far before they had." I said.

"It was intentional. Alturess is the largest hurdle the demons need to conquer. If they can do so without alerting anyone in Vania, conquering Vania would be an afterthought." Cenderion said grimly.

"Then why aren't the angelic forces asking Vania for help? Or at least alerting us to the danger?"

"The same reason we dryads have maintained our silence and neutrality. Everyone believes that the balance will be restored. It always has in the past, but I now believe the threat is very real."

"Why?"

"My Lily. She is the force that is meant to maintain balance, but she is fragile and unprepared. If the angelic forces knew that she existed, do you think she would have been left to be a vampire's plaything?" he spat.

I looked around to make sure no one was around, and sure enough it was only the two of us. "I didn't know that she was an angel," I hissed quietly. "And I remember you specifically playing around with her not too long ago."

Cenderion huffed. "That said, if the demons ever discovered her existence, do you think you are prepared to stop them from destroying the only thing stopping them from winning it all?"

I couldn't find the words. The Angel's Heart had insisted on June's importance, but I never thought that it was to this scale. "What am I to do then? What are you implying?" I finally asked swallowing my pride.

"You can't protect her. You should give her care over to me." Cenderion said.

This would be an easy out of my contract with the Angel's Heart. It was reasonable to conclude that the king of dryads would be a better guardian than I, but a part of my heart sunk. This was big. This was world changing, and to just wash my hands of this felt too easy. I had the chance to truly make a difference and live out that adventure I always craved.

"No." I said.

"Why the hell not?" Cenderion asked.

"As powerful as the dryad race is, you are all out of touch with the world. If I handed June over to you, you would pretend it was some honeymoon or something and most likely prevent June from fulfilling let alone discovering her destiny." I had pulled this excuse from my ass, but Cenderion glanced down. I guessed there was some truth to it, and I didn't hesitate to capitalize on that.

"You're too close to her. Would you allow her to face the darkness and demons, or would you hide her away from harm? Besides, June is not a plant. Where exactly were you thinking of keeping her? The forest? How would you keep her warm in the winters? Where would she use the facilities? Would you deny her the lifestyle she has become accustomed to?" With each question I pressed, the royal dryad took a small step back.