Chapter 94: June Jackson

Loving the comments! Found out that the second book has more comments than the first, so that's awesome! Enjoy!

-Lucinda Croft

            "Shouldn't we be doing some actual music? This is our second time getting together, and we haven't done anything yet." I said.

Destin smiled. "You like singing that much?"

"Love it." I said without hesitation.

He laughed and I scowled. I wasn't joking. "Well, I wanted to do something different with our time together today. We can get to singing later. I believe you'll enjoy this surprise." He opened the door and Jimmy was the first to exit. I reluctantly followed. I stared at Destin's back as he led the way.

"Have you told anyone that you marked someone?" I asked trying to fill the silence and calm my anxiety.

I only saw his silver hair shake over his shoulder blades. "No."

"What happens if someone finds out? Like they see your mark, or you let it slip?" I asked.

Destin was silent for a few seconds. "Then I would tell them that my mate was Celine Lupine." He turned back to wink at me. "I wouldn't be lying."

I was impressed by his answer. Even if someone were to question Celine Lupine, A.K.A me, she would confirm it. The only thing they didn't know was that the overnight sensation werewolf Celine Lupine was actually me.

"Have you told your husband about me?" Destin suddenly asked.

It was weird that I found myself and others referring to Cenderion as my husband instead of his name or title. It still felt like we were just playing make believe.

"I did." I said.

Destin stopped in front of an elevator and pressed the button. "How did that go?" He asked interested.

It both went worse and better than I expected. Cenderion was still unable to come out from his tree, so I couldn't see his face when I told him. That made everything ten times worse. When I finally got to dropping the news that I had been marked the dryad community went into an uproar. I had to wait a solid twenty minutes before I could tolerate touching Cenderion's bark. I explained that it was done without my consent and that I didn't mean to insult or hurt anyone. That only got them arguing who was going to kill the mangy wolf first.

"No one is killing him unless I say so." I had shouted. I explained that I had given the werewolf the chance to serve me or die, and he chose the former. That seemed to placate some dryads, but Cenderion was notably quiet. My heart squirmed fearing I had hurt Cenderion or betrayed his trust.

He had finally spoken. "Lily, does loving him make you love me less?"

"Love? I don't know that I love Destin, but whatever I feel for him wouldn't influence my feelings for you. In fact, he helped me realize how sweet you have been." I had said with a smile.

I felt a surge of emotion from the tree I was touching. Pride. Adoration. Relief. Glee. I studied the tree confused. "You didn't deny that you loved me." He had explained.

I had scoffed, but didn't argue.

"Just know Lily, that if he ever hurts you or upsets you, I will do what I did to your guard and so much more." His voice had been dark and I knew that he was dead serious.

I looked up to Destin and bit my lip. "You may want to stay away from the trees for a little while." I said knowing that the dryads were still not happy about the arrangement.