Chapter 73: Destin and June

Sorry for the late post! Please enjoy!

-Lucinda Croft

Change of POV

I watched June's surprised face closely. It was understandable that she would be surprised that I figured it out. Both Hendrix and her had been doing a really great job in hiding it, but it only made sense that she was a hybrid. Typically human-werewolf hybrids were extremely rare, and once discovered they were promptly killed. It was not only a crime but a grave insult that a werewolf would share its genes with a human. Alphas weren't even permitted to produce offspring with betas let alone the weakest species in the after realm. If the act of mating with humans was condoned, then the werewolf's line would get weaker and weaker, ultimately destroying the species all together. At least, that was what we were taught.

June's singing and her ability to heal suggested that she was one of these hybrids. The question was whether or not she knew. At first it seemed she did, but now she seemed lost for words. She finally managed to recover and held her hands tightly in her lap.

"What makes you think that I'm half werewolf?" she asked.

I shrugged. "Your ability to sing and heal were big tells, but there are other reasons."

June's honey eyes darted in my direction, and she still didn't say anything.

"I'm not going to report you." I reassured her. I wanted to keep using her voice, and it really wasn't her fault for being what she was. She couldn't choose her parents. It felt cruel to turn her in just for her to be executed for a crime she had no say in. Besides, my wolf wouldn't allow it.

"Report me? Report me for what?" she asked. It was then that I knew she didn't know anything about being a hybrid. She was found on a human continent and brought to that market against her will. Without those vampires snatching her, she could have lived her entire life in the human realm blissfully unaware of her origins. It was the safest place for a hybrid to be raised, so her parents or maybe only one parent kept it a secret from her.

"Being a hybrid, such as yourself, is illegal. Werewolves and humans are to never conceive a child. It's against pack law." I explained. This only confused June more.

"I didn't even think humans and werewolves could conceive a child," she said.

I nodded and stood back up off the bed. "It is extremely rare, and it can only happen when both werewolf and human want it to. The conception is never accidental, so despite everything please take comfort in the fact that your parents wanted you." I began to slowly pace back and forth in front of June and the bed. I didn't like this tightness in my stomach that was beginning to take hold. I was only telling her the truth, but I was hyperaware of her reactions to it.

The one I once thought was a clueless human girl shook her head. "No, I'm sorry. You're mistaken. I'm not half werewolf."

I sighed. She didn't trust me, and I couldn't blame her. I haven't really given her a reason to trust me. "What else could you be? Look, I'm not the only one who knows this. Hendrix for sure does. He would have tasted it in your blood, and that's the reason he still keeps you around. If anyone were to find out that Hendrix was drinking from a werewolf, even a hybrid one, he would suffer great losses to compensate the werewolf community."

June looked down and studied her hands before looking back to me. "Because vampires can't drink from werewolves like werewolves aren't supposed to show their beastly form to vampires."

I grimaced and nodded knowing that my fellow werewolves and I had just recently shown our beastly forms to her vampiric guard. "Hendrix's only fortunate he found out before taking your virginity." She flinched when I said that word, and she sharply glanced up to meet my eyes.