Chapter 89: June Jackson

Back to Original POV

Socializing was exhausting. People were exhausting. I had always seen myself as an introvert, so I should have suspected as much. I sipped on a glass of cranberry juice while I tuned out the conversation Eliza was having with some other absurdly attractive girls. This place was a carnival. Humans littered and crowded the floor. Most were women, but some were men. The outfits were varied and chaotic. Some wore gala gowns like Eliza, some wore cocktail dresses like me, some wore practically lingerie, and I swore I saw one completely naked. Animals were indeed the theme, and it led to an interesting clash of colors and patterns out in the crowd.

"June, can't you at least pretend you are enjoying yourself? You're putting the others off." Eliza whispered behind a fan of peacock feathers. Her posse that she was chatting with had already dispersed to mingle with others. I looked up from my musings confused. I may not have been enjoying myself, but I was being completely pleasant. At least by my standards.

"I don't know what you want from me, Eliza. I've said hello to every person you introduced me to, and I listened to every backhanded comment with a smile. I personally think I'm at the top of my game." I whispered back annoyed.

"But look at the distance they are giving us. You mustn't be so... so—" Eliza stopped choking on the word.

"So what?" I asked with a snap.

"So distant." She said exasperated.

I studied the humans around me. There once was a time where I would have said fellow humans. Most smiled and exchanged words and laughter, but a few wandered about on their own looking weighed down or terrified. I would occasionally catch the eye of someone who was glancing in my direction, but they would quickly avert their gaze. It was true that despite us approaching quite a few groups to exchange words, not once did they come up to us. Actually, I had seen Eliza attract a few busy bees, so I guess just me. No one came up to me.

"It doesn't matter." I said feeling a familiar numb take place in my chest and stomach.

"What do you mean it doesn't matter? You are representing Master Hendrix. What will the other vampires think?" Eliza said.

"I mean that there is nothing that I can do to change them." I said looking into Eliza's green eyes.

They softened. "What do you mean change them? Change who?"

I took a sip of the crisp cranberry juice and thought back to my tortured youth. Days I had put behind me, and lessons I had taken to heart. "Other people. They don't like me, or maybe I should say they won't like me."

Eliza rolled her eyes. "Save me the pity party, June. How do you know that, until you've mingled a bit."

I gripped the glass feeling the urge to shatter it in my hands. Maybe the pain would save me from the pain of memories. "I've tried that." I muttered.

Eliza stared at me for a few moments bewildered and beyond miffed. "We have only been at it for maybe a half hour."

I sighed looking around. To be honest I found the ability to become invisible again comforting. I knew how this worked, and I felt safe knowing that with being completely overlooked and forgotten I was also never in danger. I glanced up and noticed the leering eyes of the vampires and werewolves above. Unlike the humans, several of their eyes stayed on me. Never blinking.

"Oh my, if it isn't Jasmine from the Amber Nursery! It has been ages." Eliza suddenly sang changing her expression to that of faked delight.