Chapter 84: Jason Hendrix

Change of POV

"What the hell was going on with those pricks?" Keith muttered while rubbing his wrists.

I silently continued pushing through the crowds putting more distance between me and that shop. There was no doubt in my mind that that shade was intended for me. First the king of dryads, and now the richest vampire in Vania. Someone was starting something, but whether that had anything to do with June was still up for debate. Whoever was pulling the strings couldn't have known about her. She already freed Cenderion from his shade, and she would have been able to do the same for me.

"Those cuffs were enchanted. They sapped all my strength and senses." Keith continued to complain.

"Elven tools. Why do you think I was so eager to snatch Ulysses when I could?" I asked. This was not how the day was supposed to go. I was barely convinced to let June come here, and now I felt stupid for not trusting my instincts in the first place. The only good news about all this was that I was able to share some words with an actual unicorn. Despite his obvious disgust with me, I couldn't have been more thrilled. If I played my cards right, I could have the cure I'd been searching for by the end of this week.

I stopped and Keith barely avoided colliding with me. "Master Hendrix?" he asked concerned and wary. I would be cured. I wouldn't have a reason to keep June around. She could go to her "husband." She could run off and become a singing sensation with Destin. She could return home like I promised her. She could even go with the unicorn and those elves to join the fight against the demons. In either case, I no longer needed to be a part of the situation. So why did this make me feel so empty?

"We should find June and the others quickly." I said quietly.

Keith pulled out his phone. "Jimmy says they're at Verlington's. Should I tell them to meet us at the limo?"

I sighed. "No. Princess Katherine will have a fit if we don't enjoy the reservation she had arranged for us." I rubbed my temple and continued down the street. After leaving the slave market, the foot traffic was significantly lighter.

"Hey, Hendrix." Keith said. I was surprised that he dropped the "Master." I had fought with him for years over him using the ridiculous title. I turned to hear him out. "What was all that about? There's something you're not telling me, and I can't keep you safe if I don't know the actual threats." His grey eyes searched mine. His blond hair was slightly mussed from his struggle with the female elf.

"You're right. Things are going to get dangerous and you deserve to know. I'll tell you when we get back to the manor. It isn't safe to do so here." Keith nodded and gave a small smile of gratitude.

"Good, because getting my ass handed to me by dryads and an elf in one week is really tanking my self-esteem here." He joked.

We eventually met with Jimmy and the girls in front of Verlington's. I was surprised to see both princesses only holding one bag each. I was expecting half the store collected in various and numerous bags.

"Nothing you liked?" I asked.

Katherine sighed and rolled her eyes. "No, your human here forgot to mention that she had a personal clothes designer that she promised to exclusively use."

"You do?" I said surprised looking at June.

She shrugged and smiled. "Yeah. Fidestro has really been inspired by me, and asked if he could."

I sighed. "Why do people keep stealing my people?"

"And she only allowed us to buy her one outfit each." Katherine huffed.