Chapter 60: June Jackson

I want to thank my readers for all their comments and messages! I love hearing how others are enjoying or experiencing the story, even if it isn't always positive. It helps motivate me to keep writing and take this story to its natural end. Thanks again and please comment or vote!

-Lucinda Croft

Back to Original POV

"Stop fretting over me! I said that I'm okay more than a dozen times!" I groaned brushing away Cenderion's hands.

He had found me with the other dryads after his conversation with Hendrix. The dryads who healed me had guided me back into the woods wanting to check over my arm one last time, so I wasn't able to hear their conversation, but Cenderion looked concerned or contemplative when he came back.

"Is something wrong?" I had asked sitting on top of a sturdy log while the two dryads turned my arm about carefully. They had quickly secured my arm back into its floral sling and stepped back once Cenderion had shifted his focus back to me.

His face had morphed into that of a fretting father and bombarded me with questions about my well-being peppered with asking if I wanted anything. I could barely make a statement between his incessant questions until I finally exploded.

"But Lily—" Cenderion started.

"I'm really okay, Cenderion. Your friends did an amazing job and they have been nothing but attentive. What were your names again?" I asked directing my attention back to my dryad nurses.

"I'm Peony," said the female dryad with a small bow.

"And I'm Birch," said the male dryad bowing as well.

"Thank you, Peony and Birch. I don't know how I can repay you both." I said smiling.

"We are honored to serve the Future Queen of Dryads," they both said in unison.

I felt my face drain of color. Cenderion had mentioned that the dryad community had agreed to his ridiculous proposed union with me, but it felt like a silly title when he said it. With these two strange dryads using the term it felt more real, and the title far too heavy.

"Look, I'm honored and very happy that you helped me like you did. But I still haven't agreed to any marriage and especially didn't agree to being a monarch." I said clearly. I tried to maintain eye-contact with them. They needed to understand. I didn't want any more pressure into marrying anyone right now. Not when it was doomed to fail.

The two glanced to Cenderion and looked back to me with a smile. Their grass like hair dancing in the gentle breeze. "As long as you have our king's flower of bonding you are considered our future queen."

"But I don't know anything about being a queen! I'm only 20 years old and the most I've ever been given charge over was a few children. I lack all the requirements. I'm not educated enough, powerful enough, or charismatic enough. Being the most powerful species in the after realm you deserve someone who can represent you well in all of these aspects." I had given up on convincing Cenderion, but maybe I could convince the other dryads to reject the union.

Cenderion suddenly grabbed my hand and I turned to him. His brown eyes looked deeply into my own. "Lily, the fact that you know you're not yet worthy makes you even more fit for the role. Do you know how many others would jump at the opportunity for this title?" I gave him a peeved look, but he chuckled shaking his head. "What I'm saying is all of those people would do it for the wrong reasons and wouldn't care how it affected the dryads. You are taking it seriously, and you want to do what's best for my people. You can learn all that other stuff later. Your care and selflessness would make you an excellent queen."