Chapter 100: Lannister and ?

Happy Halloween Eve! You want to know something truly scary? This is the last chapter for Only Human: Angels and Demons! But don't worry. I plan to post a couple bonus chapters first, and then I'll have the first chapter of the next book posted. I appreciate your patience as I work on this transition. Now enjoy, and don't forget to vote and comment.

-Lucinda Croft

Change of POV

She was perfect. She was funny, smart, kind, and just adorable. Everything I could have ever desired of my Amorita. When discovering she was married and marked, I couldn't deny that I felt the air leave me. Who could deserve to be bonded to such an amazing woman outside of myself? I was the highest-ranking knight out of all the unicorns. I had honor, prestige, and close ties to royalty. I was the perfect match for my angelic soul mate. The others that took what they could of my Amorita were merely parasites trying to grasp even the tiniest bit of her wonder.

I had initially thought that I would merely need to remove the parasites to ensure my Amorita's happiness. The loss of a werewolf mate would easily be soothed by the Amorita's bond. The husband was a different matter. There was no clue as to whom my June was married to. A human would be easy to remove with a simple divorce. Their marriages were famous for being tremulous and quick to end. However, human marriages cannot normally be forced which meant that it was with some magical being. A vampire would be the easiest to get rid of. No harm to June would happen if I did. It couldn't be a merfolk. She wasn't near a large body of water, and merfolk didn't believe in matrimony. They didn't believe in bonds at all. It could be a hybrid creature, but there were so many. Fairies were the most common, and they typically loved causing chaos and mischief. What better way than a forced bond through marriage.

While June led us to her supposed husband, I continued to plan contingencies. Seeing her sobbing in a fetal position at the base of some random statue broke something in me. I never wanted to see her sad and alone like that again. I needed to rid my Amorita of her parasites and bring her back with me to Alturess. I could guarantee her happiness there. I was relieved that this Jimmy wasn't her husband, but when a dryad walked up to us all my plans ceased.

Dryads were more powerful than unicorns. Due to their vow of silence, I didn't even consider them a possibility. They did have rather strong bonds that could be formed by force. They were known for being rather single-minded with objects of their affection. Typically they took mistresses or consorts as a dryad's marriage was a very special thing that was famous for its permanence. But June was not a mistress. She said they were married and she had a ring. I couldn't defeat a dryad, and their union could not be severed.

Sadness and pride welled in my chest. I was sad that I could not save June from this marriage, but proud she had managed to catch the eye of a dryad. I guess it wasn't only me that noticed how perfect she was.

"I am not Lady Lily's husband." The dryad explained with a smirk. What? Then why was he showing himself? Who was Lily? Why was she a lady? He was obviously referring to June, but it was with reverence. Who would a dryad respect more than their own wife?

"I am." A deep voice resonated through the clearing. At the base of his tree stood the King. His strong presence compelled us to bow before him. His red cape of moss and the antler like crown of fallen branches left no doubt. He was the dryad king that was recovering from his struggle with a shade. He smiled warmly at my Amorita. "Hello Lily."

The king. My destined one was married to the king. The most powerful king in the After Realm. She was to be a queen. It both made sense, as she was so perfect, and completely flabbergasted me. Why would the universe or creator pair me with a queen? With an angel for that matter? What could I possibly offer her that the king of dryads couldn't? I was supposed to be her perfect partner. We were meant for each other, but now I felt lacking. I was only a knight, not a king.