Chapter 3: Entering the City

Bai Wutong came out of the pawnshop and quickly entered an alley. She put her silver taels and golden hairpin into the space and took out cosmetics from her bag. In a moment, the extremely ugly woman disappeared and was replaced by a young and ordinary girl.

The shopkeeper struggled to get up from the ground and immediately covered his bleeding neck with a handkerchief. He shouted at the magistrate officer on the street, “An ugly woman with a blind left eye robbed my shop of 150 taels of silver and a golden hairpin. Send someone to capture her immediately!”

“Yes!” The magistrate officer actually spoke respectfully to the pawnbroker.

Bai Wutong saw this from the shadows and shook her head secretly. The roots of the Yan Kingdom were completely rotten.

Bai Wutong walked into an inn and asked the waiter, “Are there any more rooms?”

The waiter said indifferently, “There’s still the high-class, low-class rooms, and the common beds. Where do you want to stay?”

Bai Wutong said, “I want a high-class room.”

The waiter sized her up. “Five taels of silver a night for a high-class room.”

Bai Wutong nodded. “I’m taking the high-class room.”

The waiter immediately beamed with joy. “Ma’am, this way, please. You can check in after registering.”

Bai Wutong thought that she could check in after paying and recording her name. Who knew that she had to register with her household records?

Seeing her hesitation, the waiter deliberately said, “It’s chaotic outside. If you don’t have a household register, you can’t stay anywhere. It’s best for you to apply for a new household register.”

Bai Wutong thought for a moment, took out a tael of silver, and stuffed it into the waiter’s hand. “Where can I apply for a household register?”

The person who was making the household register could definitely create a fake one.

The waiter was obviously adept at this business.

Sure enough, the waiter beamed like a blooming flower when he received the money. He said happily, “Ma’am, please wait a moment. I’ll take you there immediately. It’s just that it’s not easy to apply for a household register. You might have to spend more effort.”

Bai Wutong understood and took out another tael of silver. “Then I’ll have to trouble you to spend more effort.”

After receiving another tael of silver, the waiter was so happy that wrinkles appeared on his face. He brought Bai Wutong to the government office and muttered to the magistrate officers he knew. After spending 20 taels of silver, she was casually registered under a village in the Yan Kingdom.

Holding the freshly printed household register, Bai Wutong heaved a sigh of relief. She was now a person with an identity in this world.

There was a long queue at the door of the food rations store. The food rations were frighteningly expensive.

One tael of silver could only buy 10 catties of fine rice. In other words, 2,000 yuan could only buy 10 catties of high-quality rice.

Even if the coarse rice was cheaper, one tael of silver could only buy 100 catties of it. It was twice as expensive as before.

Now that the famine was becoming severe, food would only become more and more expensive. The refugees would do anything for a bite of food on their journey.

No one was dumb. They would buy as much as they could.

With silver in hand, Bai Wutong did not hold back. She asked for 100 catties of fine rice, 300 catties of coarse rice, 10 catties of white sugar, 10 catties of salt, 50 catties of oil, and 10 catties of soy sauce. She spent 30 taels of silver in one go.