Chapter 30: They Are All Traitors

Bai Wutong lowered her eyes and walked over to turn the unconscious Huang Zhong around.

She lifted his eyelids and pried open his tongue to look.

The diagnosis was that it was an after-dinner hypoglycemia, also known as fainting. It was caused by long-term hunger resulting in indigestion and unstable emotions after meals.

Simply put, if this person died, it would be because he was angered to death.

Bai Wutong sighed helplessly. She took some propinquus for blood restoration from her bag and asked Chu Tianbao to boil water for him.

Chu Tianbao boiled the medicine, opened Huang Zhong's mouth, and poured it down his throat.

After drinking the medicine, Huang Zhong was still unconscious.

Village Chief Zhao returned with his men after some investigation.

He walked towards Bai Wutong and handed the money bag to him. "Madam Bai, let San'er follow you into the city. We won't be heading in. The money is all here. San'er is stupid and I'm afraid that he will be cheated, so we'll have to trouble you to help us buy some food and herbs."

Bai Wutong held the heavy money bag in her hand and asked curiously, "Why don't you guys enter the city?" Village Chief Zhao was dying to be a follower 24 hours a day. Why was he suddenly so enlightened?

Village Chief Zhao smiled. "There are many of us here. We don't have anywhere to stay after entering the city. We'll just have to make do here for the night."

Bai Wutong saw a hidden helplessness through those wise eyes.

There were refugees running rampant outside the city and they had to be on tenterhooks every night. If Chu Tianbao followed Bai Wutong into the city, the villagers who stayed outside the city would only panic even more. There must be a reason why Village Chief Zhao suddenly did not bring the villagers into the city.

Bai Wutong guessed, "What are the conditions for entering the city?" Then it could only be that the conditions for entering the city were too harsh which made Village Chief Zhao give up.

Village Chief Zhao did not say anything. Zhao Pengfei hurriedly said, "Because a traitor entered the city, many soldiers were killed in Lin'an City. The magistrate of Beiyun City was afraid that the traitor would sneak in and commit a crime, so he gave an order. Everyone who is entering the city has to pay one tael of silver and check their household register. There are too many of us. My father said that instead of entering the city, it was better to save the silver to buy food."

They had only received less than 200 taels of silver from Fourth Master last night. If they paid the entrance fee, they would not be able to afford anything.

Bai Wutong lowered her eyes. She suspected that it was she and Chu Tianbao who caused everyone in Beiyun City to have to pay a tael of silver to enter the city.

They also had to check the household register. She did not dare to use her fake household register.

Chu Tianbao also had no household register when he was fished out of the river.

Where could they get the household register suddenly?

Just as Bai Wutong was frowning, Lin Yue took out two banknotes and placed them in front of Village Chief Zhao. "Village Chief Zhao, you don't have to worry. Sorry for troubling Auntie to take care of our Young Master for so long. We'll pay the entrance fee."

Village Chief Zhao hurriedly rejected, "It's only right for us to do so. The Young Master is delicate and precious. It's good enough that Madam Bai doesn't mind us."