||15.||

•||Chapter 15: Reflection||•

|| S A B A ||

I squeezed my eyes in embarrassment for being caught by Saad and Mr. Haytham. I intertwined my hands together to control and hide their shivering. I followed them to the parking lot with my eyes lowered to the ground and my mind still trying to wrap around that I was almost caught by Anmol.

There was this feeling of guilt and nervousness for putting a bad impression of myself in front of them. I wasn't like this nor I wanted to become a stupid ex of someone. I hated myself for not putting a strong front in front of Laraib's threats.

If not because of Laraib, I would never associate myself with Anmol and Faisal. Now look what had I done, almost sowed a seed of doubt in Anmol's heart. I didn't want this, I didn't want her to end like me, broken and closed heart.

Today I had witnessed those emotions in her eyes that I used to hold for him. And the funniest thing was knowing this, it still hurt too much. Thinking of today's event, I felt the level of my anxiety rise.

"What was in that envelope?"

I was startled when I heard Mr. Haytham's angry, loud voice, with dangerous vibes.

"Voice. Down. Sheikh," Saad told him sternly and slowly, standing in front me.

I held my breath when I heard Saad's voice change from his usual cool and happy tone to an equally cold, deep and angry voice. I squeezed my intertwined hands tightly as this unfamiliar tone of his was scaring me more.

"Why don't you question Laraib? She is the main mastermind and manipulator. But unfortunately, you have taken her so lightly, Sheikh. She is involved with that half brother of yours," I could hear Saad gritting his teeth in anger as he snapped at Mr. Haytham.

I looked up slowly at Saad's back that was facing me and blocking my view. There was a sense of security and protection he was giving me from just a simple move of his. There was the sound of footsteps fading a little, then the door of the car closed loudly and its engine sound fading away, but I kept my eyes on Saad's head.

"I don't know what was in it. I'm sorry," I whispered, my voice trembling in fear.

I didn't want him to be angry at me or blaming me too. My anxious heart was pounding in my chest loud enough for me to hear it and scared more. Seeing him turning around to face me, I lowered my eyes again quickly and stared at our shoes in fear.

"I'm sorry," I whispered again but in a very quiet voice.

My tears were beginning to gather in my eyes, blurring my vision.

"Don't be. It's not your fault. Whoever would be in your position might have done the same. Don't blame yourself," His unfamiliar voice changed into the familiar soft voice as he told me.